Talk

Advanced search

human dodi

(15 Posts)
youcannotbeserious Tue 19-Aug-08 13:33:23

not sure what to do about this...

DS has been mixed fed from birth until10 weeks old. never had a problem moving between bottle and breast.

Has been 100% bottle fed for the last 2 weeks as my milk just disappeared, but since that happened, DS wants to suckle himself to sleep...

I don't get it, he is getting all his nutrition from bottles but sometimes gets himself into a right state, until he is put on my breast, at which point he'll happily settle..

I don't understand why, but would like to know if it's ok to continue?

bethoo Tue 19-Aug-08 13:36:56

my son did this for comfort too, maybe your milk may return if you put him back on. it is your personal choice whether you wnat him to do it. if not just dont let him near and when he manages to get on just take him off. he will learn in no time.
have you tried him wiht a dummy?
some people may be against dummies so just to say my ds has never used one but it may work for you.

youcannotbeserious Tue 19-Aug-08 13:40:47

thanks...

he hates dummies. won't accept one at all.

More than happy to continue in the [vain] hope my milk might return...

But i'm not doing anything bad, by letting DS do this?

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 19-Aug-08 13:44:13

youcannotnbeserious - don't worry, it's not 'bad' in any way to let your DS do this. He's still v small and suckling is so comforting for him, so carry on if you are both happy.

Any extra stimulation would help with the milk supply, but I'm not an expert - you need someone like Tiktok for this...

youcannotbeserious Tue 19-Aug-08 14:29:53

Thanks, that's what I needed to hear.

Sadly, Tiktok predicted this would happen... sad

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 19-Aug-08 14:34:21

Message withdrawn

moondog Tue 19-Aug-08 14:37:28

Babies get so much more than food from your breasts. Warmth, comfort, closeness,security.
It's great that he still wants to suck. Encourage it if you want to get backto b/feeding. smile

Becky77 Tue 19-Aug-08 14:38:15

Can I just ask how many bottles a day you were giving your son when you were mix feeding?

I ask because I've just gone from 100% breastfeeding my DD to mixed feeding... Although she only gets 1 bottle a day... Just worried my milk might disappear and I know that would upset her massively... She's 10 weeks too and when I tried to do half and half she got very upset so I know she needs the boob for comfort.

youcannotbeserious Tue 19-Aug-08 14:42:58

Becky - DS has 4 bottles a day if he's in a good routine (around 200mls per bottle) up to 6 if he's unsettled.

Would love to continue BF (in whatever capacity) for as long as possible.. Love the comfortable / safe / secure feeling it gives both of us.

I just dont' want to give my DS ishoos grin

youcannotbeserious Tue 19-Aug-08 14:44:47

Sorry, I should clarify, he doesn't finish the bottles when he's unsettled which is why he needs more... He doesn't eat more!!

Becky77 Tue 19-Aug-08 15:19:59

how many did he have when u were mix feeding? just wandering why your milk stopped?

youcannotbeserious Tue 19-Aug-08 15:30:21

he was having 2... but tiktok said that this might happen, it happened alomost over night.

he would just scream and scream cos he was hungry. that doesn't happen now and he's actually happy just to be comforted...

WilfSell Tue 19-Aug-08 15:42:12

Dodis are rubber humans btw: the nipples came first!

I don't see what is wrong with him suckling for comfort when he's so little and needs it even if there's not much milk there. What precious little there is will still be doing him good and if you're lucky and do it frequently enough you might get one or two or more full feeds? Or even a few drops will have some antibodies in I'd wager.

Ask a BFC for advice on relactating also...

Don't beat yourself up about what has happened. Focus on what works now...

tiktok Tue 19-Aug-08 17:15:50

youcannotbeserious - I have just read your old thread where I predicted this, and yes, I was right, wasn't I?

This is what happens with mixed feeding, all too often.

But it is lovely that you still have the comfort and closeness of the suckling to sleep - what possible issues could this bring about? There are only positives from this - he learns he has a mummy who gives him warmth, comfort and love to help him sleep, and that he recognises love sometimes comes without food attached

youcannotbeserious Tue 19-Aug-08 17:37:59

Thanks Tiktok...

Yes, you were right... and it happened Very quickly sad

But, will continue to comfort him as he wants.

thanks, YCBS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now