Talk

Advanced search

Please give me your best tips on successful breastfeeding (due in 10 weeks)

(53 Posts)
MamaG Mon 18-Aug-08 16:24:02

I successfully BF my DD 9 years ago(shock)

I then tried to bf DS 4 years ago but had to give it up at 6 weeks as he failed to thrive - HV basically bullied me into mixed feeding which ended up with him being exclusively ff within a week (and he still didn't thrive, but thats another story!)

I'm now 30 weeks pg with DC3 and really looking forward to BF again - DH thinks I'm heading for a big disappointment if it doesn't work out again and I do agree with him. I'll be bitterly disappointed if it doesn't work out this time.

So, just pretend that this is my first baby grin - what are your top bf tips, please?

ilovemydog Mon 18-Aug-08 16:32:04

get a good nursing bra. I live in Bravado and peel them off - smile

Also don't feel silly/embarrassed to get as much as help as you need so that you're comfortable with b/fing.

good luck to you!!!

twoboots Mon 18-Aug-08 16:38:19

have a look at this website, its got some really useful info from a canadian bf consultant. I got a friend 2 post me the book.

GillianLovesMarmite Mon 18-Aug-08 16:43:13

I would also make sure you know who to turn to for support if you need it. My ds is my first child, but in the first week I had support from my midwife, an nhs breastfeeding counsellor and rang the la leche league helpline countless times as I was quite unsure, but desperate to get it right... I'm still now exclusively (almost) breastfeeding at 7months.
I found it really useful - especially the helplines from lll and nct as they women who answer the phone are real mums who have breastfed and have trained as counsellors and supporters.
I would also stock up on nipple cream, good quality breastpads - disposable or washable, but nice comfy ones, and a couple of nipple shields (as although it's not recommended to use these all the time I used one for one feed a night in my first week as I had some soreness and it just helped to provide that little bit of relief...), oh - and some savoy cabbages (keep in the fridge) grin as is really is true that they provide relief if needed.

chatee Mon 18-Aug-08 16:44:41

set your self small goals
ie: i will try to feed baby for 2 weeks(when you complete that time give your self a pat on the back and feel proud when you look at chubby little baby cheeks and contented baba)then extend the target to 1 month and keep doing it whilst you feel able to.

ensure your dh knows where to get a savoy cabbage from(and store in thr fridge) as a leaf inside your bra works wonders when feeling sore!

when the time comes that you think that you need to change your feeding method either sey your self a smaller target time and see if you can achieve it or think well done MamaG you have done it for xxlength of time and now it's time for xx and don't beat yourself up over it

oh and finally come on mn and ask for advice it did realy help me successfully feed ds after having failed miserably with dd

good luck xx

TheProvincialLady Mon 18-Aug-08 16:44:54

Get the phone numbers of your local BF counsellors ready beforehand and consult them before doing ANYTHING that a midwife or HV advises (unless it is what you were going to do anyway). And find out about any BF support meetings such as LLL or if there is a Baby Cafe near you.

Umlellala Mon 18-Aug-08 16:45:12

www.kellymom.com v useful

check latch and check again. then check again. remember, it shouldnt hurt.

um... don't forget the first few weeks are CONSTANT feeding.

i mixed fed dd for 3 weeks before going to formula... but have exclusively bf ds now for over 4 weeks (yay me). Don't have formula in the house (although I do have a bottle) - the shops aren't exactly far away if we need some. Haven't needed it yet - but if it was here I prob would have used it.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 18-Aug-08 16:46:04

Message withdrawn

MamaG Mon 18-Aug-08 16:46:37

Thanks very much for the replies

belgo Mon 18-Aug-08 16:46:49

The best thing I read is feed your baby loads and loads. I fed dd1 ten/twelve times or even more in the first 24 hours, and it continued like that for quite a while. Forget about three/four hourly feeding. That comes much much later.

And plenty of skin to skin contact. I kept dd1 and dd2 right next to me constantly for the first few days.

Umlellala Mon 18-Aug-08 16:47:04

www.howbreastfeedingworks.com - has a great link to an nhs mag with fab pictures of latching. i thought i had a good latch but this helped improve

(thanks to marslady for lots of advice on bf)

fairylights Mon 18-Aug-08 16:47:11

have a look online for some video clips of someone successfully breastfeeding, or find a friend who is doing that and have a good, long look at how they are doing it!
Obviously you have bf before so you have a good idea what it should feel like (if you can remember!) but i really found that watching someone bf helped me understand how to do it hugely. really hope it goes well for you - whatever happens, arm yourself now with the phone number of a local breastfeeding counsellor - your local NCT should have one at least and they will be happy to support you over the phone if needed when the time comes. All the best! smile

belgo Mon 18-Aug-08 16:48:35

And have confidence in your own body - it's clever enough to make a baby, it's more then clever enough to make milk which is very simple in comparison.

SoupDragon Mon 18-Aug-08 16:49:22

Don't let your HV bully you this time Seek better, more qualified advice form a BF counsellor.

twoboots Mon 18-Aug-08 16:49:53

forgtot the site:
http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

MamaG Mon 18-Aug-08 16:51:35

soupdragon - woe betide any HV taht tries to bully me this time grin

moominsmummy Mon 18-Aug-08 16:54:44

eat cake

lots and lots and lots of cake grin

theyoungvisiter Mon 18-Aug-08 16:54:49

Shove a boob at them every time they cry!

Slightly more constructive, ahem, have confidence in yourself and don't allow yourself to feel undermined if your way of feeding doesn't fit in with the "rules". The MW I saw postnatally was full of these - like the baby must feed for at least 40 minutes, and must feed off both boobs, and should be able to go for at least 3 hours between feeds, and should have at least 1 long period a day without a feed, etc etc.

I fretted for ages because DS completely failed to fit in with her formulas. Some of them worked for us - some didn't. I never got DS to take both sides - or to go longer than about 2 hours between feeds - but you know what? It didn't matter. If it's working for you and your baby is thriving then don't worry.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 18-Aug-08 16:58:49

Make contact with a local bfc before the baby is born. Introduce yourself and tell her pretty much what you said in your message here. It will help you develop a relationship with her.

Have faith in your body's ability. Chances are you may not be a bountiful milk goddess by day 5, that is normal! It takes up to 6 weeks to develop your supply.

Buy some Lansinoh, good bf bra's (I like Bravado) and breast pads. I can also recommend night time bra's (I like the Carriwell one's), they give you support without the restriction.

As soon as you feel things aren't going well ie bad latch, lumps in your boobs (blocked duct), itchy boobs (nipple thrush), get help/treatment. Don't try and battle through it! This doesn't mean all these things will happen btw!

Have the full support and understanding of you dh. When the going gets tough, it is so much easier to reach for the formula if someone is telling you to.

Resign yourself to feeding a lot and getting nothing done around the house. If you try and battle against the hourly marathon feeds you will make your life a misery. Roll with it, and use it as an excuse to do feck all but sit on your arse!

Good luck smile

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 18-Aug-08 17:02:37

Message withdrawn

bythepowerofgreyskull Mon 18-Aug-08 17:03:00

I would make contact with BF counsellors NOW, names good contact times etc. ask if they would be prepared to pop round say a week after your due date so you can get them on board straight away.

the other thing is I was certain I wanted to be on my own to feed ds2
with ds1 I had lots of advice, people pulling and moving my boobs and nips into DS1's face.
The times it worked well was when I was ALL alone relaxed and happy to have the time with my little one.

Have a babymoon!!

ilovemydog Mon 18-Aug-08 17:03:41

Lansinoh smile

chocolatemummy Mon 18-Aug-08 17:04:39

I breast fed for a year and at the beginning it was simply to 'grin and bear it'
It DOES hurt LOTS but the best thing I had was not nipple cream but nipple spray which did cool it down and soothe it, if you have the will power to get through the first week then it just stops hurting, its like wearing in a new pair of shoes that kill ya! lol

moominsmummy Mon 18-Aug-08 20:00:36

slightly embarassed to say that I am one of those smug gits who has found bf really easy and it hasn't hurt at all (but I have other difficulties in life so I reckon I was due one reprieve grin)It's worth being aware of potential problems but hopefully you'll find it much easier than you think..

Getthekettleon Mon 18-Aug-08 20:40:47

My advise is to ensure you get baby to latch on correctly from the start. Have the Lansinoh to hand if it does get sore and remember it gets easier and is soooo worth it once you get going.

Good Luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now