Talk

Advanced search

Hang on a minute...How did i get to 24 weeks??!!!

(17 Posts)
MerlinsBeard Mon 18-Aug-08 12:59:49

My trials with bf are well documented on here (as bluedragonfly mostly!) but it occured to me today that DS3 is 24 weeks and has only had the occasional bottle (formula or ebm where i have been able to express enough)

He still feeds every 2 hours day and night and i am still bloody knackered but i made it to 24 weeks!!! YAY me

he is deffo ready for weaning seeing as how he stole my apple and gummed it to death and smushed banana into his face before realising he doesn't actually like it (the look on his face was soooooo funny!!) so in the next couple of weeks (ie when his high chair arrives!) i shall be half BLW and half puree ing...oh the memories of stained bibs and the MESS!!!

Have posted this twice as it has 2 homes

Jackstini Mon 18-Aug-08 13:13:31

Well done mom!! grin
And it should get even easier if he is about to start on solids.
You should feel rightly chuffed!

monthlymayhem Mon 18-Aug-08 13:27:34

Well done MOM - I am in much the same position - ds is 22 weeks, excl bf and is still up 3 or 4 times during the night. The last 5 months has gone in a zombied blur. I've been trying over the last few days to introduce a bottle of formula once a day, but he's having none of it - which is ironic given that bf'ing has been a bl*&dy nightmare and I really thought he wouldn't mind switching.

Anyway, I gave myself a pat on the back at the weekend that I've managed to keep another human being alive, and not only alive but actually growing, for a whole 5 months. smile

Jackstini Mon 18-Aug-08 13:29:30

Pat well deserved mm! - here is another <<pat, pat>>
Will he take bottle/cup of ebm so you can have a longer sleep?

MerlinsBeard Mon 18-Aug-08 13:34:45

monthlymayhem, ds3 sounds soooo similar! he only stopped being fussy with a bottle after i had to visit my gran in hosp a couple of weeks ago and i couldn't take him(we were told she had 24 hours so i had to go then), he screamed but realised i wasn't there and happily took a bottle

in the night i would be awake anyway with DP stomping around doing a bottle so its easier if i just bf him.i can't settle if dp does night feeds because he falls asleep at the\drop of a hat and when ds2 was tiny he nearly slid onto the floor and dp never stirred angry

MerlinsBeard Mon 18-Aug-08 13:35:27

i struggle to express actually so ebm is like liquid gold when i manage to do it!!

monthlymayhem Mon 18-Aug-08 13:35:36

Thanks for the pat Jackistini! Well... up until last week he had one bottle a week of ebm which he took no problem. However I started trying to introduce a formula feed for his late morning feed with a bottle last week. First couple of days he took 3 oz, the next couple of days 2oz, and then yesterday decided that he wouldn't touch a drop and screamed blue murder until I breast fed him. We tried a bottle last night at 11pm ish as I though he would be sleepy and might accept it, but he did the same again I'm now worried that I've scared him off taking a bottle. Tried a tommee tipee cup this morning and it got the same reaction...

MerlinsBeard Mon 18-Aug-08 13:36:34

mm are u able to express?

monthlymayhem Mon 18-Aug-08 13:39:44

LOL MOM, my DH is exactly the same - we did try him doing a night feed, but he only woke me up to ask questions and to ask for the fiftieth time what exactly he should be doing <sigh> LO is also very fussy about temperature, so it turned into such a palaver that we didn't try it again, and I now always just feed him during the night.

monthlymayhem Mon 18-Aug-08 13:45:06

Yes can express ok MOM - have always found hand expressing easier than using a pump and have a small freezer supply. Haven't expressed for the last couple of weeks though as I thought I was winding down a couple of breastfeeds, but LO has different ideas!

MerlinsBeard Mon 18-Aug-08 14:00:25

its horrible when they settle to a routine and then just as you do they change it!

I am quite good at hand expressing, can't catch any though hahahahaha!

wontbepreggersagain Mon 18-Aug-08 14:03:35

congrats- when it all clicks into place it just gets easier and easier- especially when you start solids- easy peasy then!

I have the oposite problem re ebm. I have a damn chest freezer full (and i mean it is full!) but neither of the girls will take it- full stop, not even a dribble hmmangry

MerlinsBeard Mon 18-Aug-08 14:12:01

can you donate it to anyone/anywhere preggers?

how are your girls doing now? and YOU! Haven't seen you around in AGES

wontbepreggersagain Mon 18-Aug-08 14:31:08

i'm keeping it all there just incase- when i have treatment they will need it as i'm not allowed to breastfeed for a certain time afterwards- so hopefully they will have no choice and will decide that its better than nothing grin.

girls are doing fine- Millie has just hit 13lbs and Carys is struggling to get to 12lbs atm- so they are still dinky, i've had newborn twins for 8 months reallywink.

I'm fine- absolutely knackered and hating forced retirement! but i get to spend every moment watching the girls grow up! I tend to lurk on the boards but am slowly starting to post again!

MerlinsBeard Mon 18-Aug-08 14:33:45

they sound like good weights for prems as prem as your girls were(you prob don't remember me from march threads, i don't post there often)

I hadn't thought about during your treatment, what a good idea to keep it! Will you carry on expressing thru'out to keep up your supply or are you not thinking that far ahead?

wontbepreggersagain Mon 18-Aug-08 14:44:08

i do remember you from the march boards- i don't venture over there much atm!

i will pump and dump to keep my supply up as much as poss!! consultant is very supportive of me bf- even if he calls me stubborn sometimes! to this day the girls have not had a drop of formula- and i'm proud of it- so now that i've got the first 6 hard months out of the way i want to carry on as long as poss!

MerlinsBeard Mon 18-Aug-08 14:57:27

you really do deserve a medal preggars

never mind me patting myself on the back, we should all be patting YOU on teh back!!(gently!)

Well done you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now