Talk

Advanced search

Travelling with frozen expressed breast milk - how?

(2 Posts)
ElmMum Sun 17-Aug-08 22:10:10

Going to Scotland next week on the train and need to take a stash of EBM.

Journey is approx 7.5 hours door to door. If I take frozen EBM in a picnic-style cool bag (with those ice pack thingummies), presumably the EBM will slowly thaw on the journey. If I then whack it into the fridge when I arrive, how long will it be okay for?

Or is there a better way to transport EBM than a picnic thing? Can't see any gizmos that keep EBM frozen outside the freezer, IYSWIM.

Any ideas?

theyoungvisiter Sun 17-Aug-08 22:14:27

How much are you wanting to take? I would think if you kept it in a thermos flask packed with ice it would stay solid for longer than in a picnic cool bag - I've taken frozen juice in a thermos before and it was still rock solid 7 hours on - not even slushy round the edges!

As for defrosting, not an expert on EBM per se, but I think the normal rule is to treat it as fresh from the moment it thaws. There is some confusion over what that entails with EBM, I think the latest advice is max 8 days in the fridge - personally I don't think I'd have the courage to leave it that long - particularly if it had been previously frozen, but I'm sure you'd be safe with 48 hours plus.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now