Talk

Advanced search

help - how long will it take for my supply to be ok after not eating for 24 hours?

(8 Posts)
deaconblue Sun 17-Aug-08 20:17:09

had horrible sickness bug so couldn't eat from Friday evening until Saturday evening. Have continued demand feeding dd (15 weeks) but she fed like a loon last night and all day today and now my boobs feel really empty, she's sucking like mad and screeching.
Have been able to eat relatively normally today so when should my milk be back to normal?

ruty Sun 17-Aug-08 20:22:50

your milk should be ok i think. Just keep letting her feed and she'll get what she needs. Glad you're feeling better.

youarefabulous Sun 17-Aug-08 20:23:21

Hopefully you'll feel back to normal together soon. Some babies will feed more if they have been in contact with a virus or bug for a couple of days. They are getting your antibodies to the infection they have been in contact with. Of course, this can be exhausting for you while it lasts though. Get plenty to drink yourself now and rest as much as you can. I hope tonight is a little easier for you both.

ruty Sun 17-Aug-08 20:23:28

she'll stimulate your milk production with all the feeding.

moondog Sun 17-Aug-08 20:23:49

They are never empty and body v resilient so illness wont have affected supply.

ruddynorah Sun 17-Aug-08 20:24:36

how much or how little you eat makes no difference to how much milk you make.

deaconblue Sun 17-Aug-08 20:26:05

good, so should be ok again soon. She usually sleeps from 8pm til 5 or 6am so lots of night feeds were a bit gruelling. She's calmed down a bit now so I think I'll go up to her room and try another calm feed and hopefully she'll be able to get off to sleep.

TheOldestCat Sun 17-Aug-08 20:30:31

Hope you feel better soon. To echo what others have said, your supply probably hasn't been affected that much - your DD might be feeding more as a response to feeling a bit unwell herself?

Anyway, to reassure you, I didn't eat for nearly four days when DD was a few months old and there was no lasting effect. My GP said the body is very good at protecting the infant's demands (just not so good for you - so make sure you don't get dehydrated; I recommend those vile rehydration sachets!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now