Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help - 5 day old baby and one breast not producing milk.......ideas please......

(26 Posts)
SazzlesA Sun 17-Aug-08 20:03:24

Message withdrawn

smallwhitecat Sun 17-Aug-08 20:13:15

Message withdrawn

youarefabulous Sun 17-Aug-08 20:15:42

Are you able to breastfeed while lying down? You may find it helpful to just keep on offering your right breast as often as possible. It is her stimulation which will bring the milk in. Maybe you could try to feed her on the left side initially when she is very hungry to avoid the frustration and then move her to the right side to finish feeding. In between feeds have as much skin to skin as possible and put her to the right breast often. Your milk supply will not dry up if you are continuing to stimulate the breasts. Engorgement would only occur if she isn't feeding, or you aren't expressing enough from the breast (which you may need to do until she gets the hang of the right side) Sometimes it can be difficult for mum and baby to get the hang of one side. I found it difficult on my right side for all of my babies.
Congratulations and good luck!

LackaDAISYcal Sun 17-Aug-08 20:15:55

Sorry for your BFing troubles; the early days can be very hard work.

Can you get in touch with a local breastfeeding counsellor? as I think you need someone experienced in BFing to help you through this.

It is unlikely that you are producing nothing, and expressing this early on can be very misleading, not to mention disheartening sad, when not very much, or nothing comes out. The fact that this breast leaks when you feed from the other one would back this up. It is more likely that your letdown on the right side is a lot slower which is causing your DDs frustration.

Try expressing by hand as this is often more productive in the early days than using a pump (if you are not doing that already)

the BFing helplines are on this website or is there a baby cafe near you. Or your maternity hospital may well have some support on hand.

Another good idea is to take to bed with your DD for a babymoon, with both of you naked on top and just let her feed and feed and feed as and when she wants to. Get DH to keep you supplied with drinks and snacks and even get him involved in the skin to skin contact as well. It's a lovely way to bond with your baby and to get BFing off to a flying start smile

SazzlesA Sun 17-Aug-08 20:20:52

Message withdrawn

LackaDAISYcal Sun 17-Aug-08 20:21:28

Here are some links from Kellymom which is a fantastic BFing resource with lots of information and links to external help.

jaundice help

milk supply help

slow let down help

LackaDAISYcal Sun 17-Aug-08 20:22:22

oop blush

congratulations from me as well smile

SazzlesA Sun 17-Aug-08 20:28:18

Message withdrawn

LackaDAISYcal Sun 17-Aug-08 20:30:06

smile

jellyforbrains Sun 17-Aug-08 20:31:50

My baby is a month old and have been having similar problems. I struggled for the 1st week of BF and baby would not latch on in any position by the end of that week (after being ok in the 1st few days). I was in tears and taking up to 2 hrs to latch her on (she caused quite a bit of pain to my poor nips). In the end i had no option but to express and give her a bottle. Was upset that I had to do this but I was worried about her weight loss and strength. Used breast shells on the other boob whilst expressing/trying to feed and this helped a bit with engorgenent which kicked in after the 1st week and then I had (and still have) mastitis.

After a week or so of doing this, and still trying to put her to the breast before every feed, she successfully latched on. For a few days after that I still had to express lots of feeds but she gradually increased the 'straight from breast' feeds. She also showed a preference for one side and took another week to get her to latch on to the other!

I know this sounds awful and I hope your situation is less severe, but now, in the last few days, she is feeding from the breast at every feed.

The first day I exclusively expressed I struggled to produce a lot, but but the 3rd day I was getting loads - and quite quickly!

She has had no nipple confusion - which I was worried about. In fact, after she started feeding properly again, if she failed to latch on and was offered an expressed bottle, she would push it out of her mouth with her tongue and nuzzle against me. I think that in her case she really needed to get her strength back.

I know that you said you didn't want to go down the expressing route but I thought that I'd tell you what happened to me in case it helps. I did phone a couple of b'feeding helplines and they agreed that in my situation I was doing the right thing.

Baby is now feeding happily but it was a real slog and hassle to get here!

Good luck, I know how frustrating it is.

jellyforbrains Sun 17-Aug-08 20:33:12

Sorry, misread - thought you said you did have issue with expressing blush

SqueakyPop Sun 17-Aug-08 20:34:40

Feed first from the lazy breast, when the suck is stronger.

SazzlesA Sun 17-Aug-08 20:45:10

Message withdrawn

jellyforbrains Mon 18-Aug-08 10:10:21

Mine have all been reluctant at the start too! This is no 3 - has definitely not got easier with each baby. They have all been sleepy in the 1st month. I am actually jealous of those who have had real guzzlers from the beginning!

GreenMonkies Mon 18-Aug-08 10:16:34

Just quickly, if it comes to it there is no reason why you can't feed her totally from one breast. Women bf twins with only one boob per baby, and I know a lady who bf totally from one boob due to a severe inverted nipple on one side.

But carry on offering both, it may just be you have a "lazy" boob and it will catch up soon.

TinkerBellesMum Mon 18-Aug-08 10:29:14

This might sound like an odd question, but how was she born?

Expressing is notoriously tricky and unreliable. I have tried four different machines (in hospital and one of my own) and only one has any real effect on me, no way could I buy it it's a hospital grade one (v. expensive). The best thing I found to help my supply and expressing was to wear shells all the time. I had two sets that I alternated with, sterilising one set when I was expressing then changing them over. Because I kept them like that the milk was usable - I often had nurses asking what milk I had in my shells when they didn't quite have enough EBM so they didn't have to use FM.

I was only feeding Tink once a day and she preferred one side! After a few days her preference changed sides and she did that until she was full time on the breast. Even after that she would be fussy, I could almost hear her "I don't want left! Only right will do for me!"

SazzlesA Mon 18-Aug-08 11:14:38

Message withdrawn

TinkerBellesMum Mon 18-Aug-08 12:42:42

When you have a CS it can affect your milk supply. I didn't get much more than drops for the first few days, I got day 5(!) blues when it came in and then day 14 it started to flow. But I had a very premature baby, normally after a CS day 10 it will start to flow.

Shells don't just catch, they help stimulate your milk as well. I was leaking much until I used them then all of a sudden I was getting an ounce from each between sessions and sometimes the same again combined when I was pumping. I went from getting 10mls tops every 4 hours to getting 4oz every 4 hours (sorry for the mix of measurements!) which was a big difference. Even what I was expressing increased.

mummyofbeautifultwingirls Mon 18-Aug-08 15:04:00

Why don't you try hand expressing on the "lazy" side to make let-down occur then she will get the milk as soon as she latches on?

Also, it does take slightly longer for milk to come in after a CS so it should all start happening any day now. Just hang in there and keep offering both sides or you will be very lop-sided wink.

hope it goes well!

TinkerBellesMum Mon 18-Aug-08 15:36:08

"wasn't leaking much" even.

SazzlesA Mon 18-Aug-08 20:27:08

Message withdrawn

youarefabulous Mon 18-Aug-08 21:09:47

Great news! smile

LackaDAISYcal Mon 18-Aug-08 21:15:10

great news sazzles grin. Persevere and try and get her to feed from the right as much as possible; starting her off on the left and switching over might help, especially if your right leaks when she is feeding.

It's quite common for babies to prefer one side to the other, and some people have had success with cranial osteopathy as it can sometimes be due to stiffness left over from their journey into the world. Maybe worth a look?

you know where we all are if you need any more support smile

jellyforbrains Mon 18-Aug-08 22:33:51

Well done grin

SazzlesA Tue 19-Aug-08 01:35:00

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now