Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a formula that doesn't taste discusting?

(18 Posts)
goodomen Sun 17-Aug-08 19:48:41

My dd is now 6 months old and so far has been exclusively breast fed. She has, on very rare occasions, had a bottle of EBM, but not particularly successfully.

She has just about managed to get the hang of drinking from a 'Breastflow' bottle. However now I am trying to introduce a couple of formula feeds as I really struggle with expressing.

DD will start sucking the bottle but as soon as she tastes the formula she makes a face and spits it out.

I have tried SMA and Cow and Gate. I have tasted both myself and they are pretty rank, so I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a formula that tasted a bit more like breast milk?

Ewe Sun 17-Aug-08 19:50:27

They all taste vile IME, they are all essentially the same thing, I use Aptamil but I don't think it's any better to be honest. Just buy individual cartons of all the milks and try them!

Blu Sun 17-Aug-08 19:53:56

Breast milk tastes vile, too (imo!) - it's probably that she just doesn't recognise something different as something that will give her satisfaction and relief from hunger.

Try introducing it to her after she has had some b milk, so that she is more inclined to experiemnt - when hungry she will want what she knows stops hunger, and nothing else.

GreenMonkies Sun 17-Aug-08 19:55:52

Ahh,, but the cartons taste different to the powder!

Is this for when you go back to work? If so, you may be ok for her to just have water (and solids I presume) once the ebm you manage to pump runs out each day, also, you may find that when you are at work and not nursing during the day that you will find you are pumping more than you were so it might not be an issue.

Does this help?

SquiffyHock Sun 17-Aug-08 19:56:50

I saw a cranial osteopath who said that he had tried all of the formulas and that Hipp Organic was the closest, taste-wise, to breast milk.
I know a few people that have used it alongside breast-feeding.

BreeVanderCampLGJ Sun 17-Aug-08 19:57:09

BTW

the word is disgusting

And not all of us have a choice as to whether we EBF, so get over yourself.

BreeVanderCampLGJ Sun 17-Aug-08 19:57:36

Good point Blu.

GreenMonkies Sun 17-Aug-08 20:01:51

Bree, I don't think any one needs to "get over" them selves! Calm down.

goodomen Sun 17-Aug-08 20:02:19

Thank you.
Ewe I will try Aptimal next.
Blu probably it is just that she is used to breast milk rather than it tasting nicer.

Thanks GreenMonkies, it does help. I am going back to work in November but I was also (rather selfishly) thinking of going out somewhere at some point.

When I say I struggle with expressing I mean I can get about 3oz a day out. I have lots of milk but just can't express it, so I don't know if your idea would work.

goodomen Sun 17-Aug-08 20:04:04

Oops my mistake it is disgusting blush

BreeVanderCampLGJ Sun 17-Aug-08 20:07:14

GM
grin

GreenMonkies Sun 17-Aug-08 20:17:00

Goodomen,

Keep pumping your 3oz a day, you will get better at it, it's a learned skill. Do some relaxation exercises before and during expressing, breathe deep, close your eyes and think about your DD nursing, hold the baby gro she slept in last night to your nose and sniff it, it all sounds silly but it does work! Stash your milk, get as much in the freezer as you can, and it's not selfish to want to go out at all, you are allowed to!!

Bree, smile

goodomen Sun 17-Aug-08 20:23:38

Thanks GreenMonkies. I will keep trying if all else fails.

SquiffyHock that is interesting. I will try some Hipp tomorrow.

GreenMonkies Sun 17-Aug-08 21:21:03

Fennel can help with letdown too, I often drank fennel tea when I was expressing for DD1 and I'm sure it helped me when I was stressed or not feeling on form.

Ewe Sun 17-Aug-08 21:27:20

Have you tried expressing from one breast whilst feeding from another?

elmoandella Sun 17-Aug-08 21:34:39

i'm gonna get bashed for this.

but i gave ds sma progress (the 6 month + follow on) when i stopped bf as he didn't like taste of infant formula.

MERLYPUSS Sun 17-Aug-08 21:58:59

Hipp tastes like coffee-mate. It still smells dodgy but much better than Aptamil IMO.

goodomen Sun 17-Aug-08 22:23:51

I will try that GM.

Ewes I have tried expressing whilst feeding.
The only way I can get the let down reflex is if dd is feeding so this is the best way I can express. As soon as the let down 'feeling' goes, so does my milk flow in the breast I am expressing from.

elmoandella, I hadn't thought of the follow on milk so may give it a go.

MERLYPUSS, thanks. coffeemate -yuk.

Maybe I should perservere with the expressing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now