Talk

Advanced search

Quick Please!!! Out of EBM, going out tonight - What should I do???

(27 Posts)
INeedAGuardianAngel Sat 16-Aug-08 18:36:41

Hi! I've been exclusively breastfeeding my dd since birth (just started weaning onto solids at 7 mos. - 3 weeks ago). I'm going out tonight and will be having a few glasses of wine - maybe several...?!? (only 2nd night out since her birth grin) I only have one bottle of EBM in the fridge and that will cover her 10 pm get her down to sleep feed, but she usually wakes at about 1am, 4am, 6am, and 8am for feeds too - I know I probably won't be ok with feeding her myself until 8am at the earliest. I might be able to express a few more ounces before I go out, but I was thinking about breaking down and using some formula as a back up just in case? So, wise MNers - which one? She's 7.5 mos., never touched a drop of formula before, no known allergies...would a few cartons of the ready-made Aptamil or Cow and Gate hungry baby 2nd stage be ok? Age appropriate? And should I tell DH to heat them? What would you do???

(Oh and the reason I only have 1 bottle EBM is that DH was being a help before and tried to microwave steam sterilize some of her toys when we got back from holiday - neglecting to weed out the electronic toys with batteries - needless to say, batteries and microwaves don't mix. shock A new breast pump and sterilizer later....lesson learned.)

Thanks!!!

Seona1973 Sat 16-Aug-08 19:48:07

I would use either stage 1 or follow on milk rather than go straight to hungry milk. There is no guarantee she will drink it though as it tastes very different to breastmilk. My lo's took the ready made cartons at room temperature but you can heat them if you wish - stand in a jug of boiling water for a few minutes.

Caz10 Sat 16-Aug-08 20:14:33

i think it depends when you stop drinking, how much etc etc

if you just don't want to risk it, stage 1 formula i'm sure would be fine, dd 8mths has just started having some when i'm at work and we use aptamil blue cartons, she seems to prefer them heated, dh just sits the bottle in a jug of hot water for a few mins.

if you stop drinking say at midnight you prob don't want to feed her at 1am, but you might be fine by the 6am one? although i can understand if you'd rather not get up for that! grin

moondog Sat 16-Aug-08 20:16:03

Don't be daft. You can drink and b/feed, as long as not legless.

LackaDAISYcal Sat 16-Aug-08 20:20:17

Agree with Caz it depebds how much you are going to drink. If only a few glasses of wine over the course of the evening than i would just feed her as normal.

If you plan on being bladdered then you might not want to feed her in the night, but will be ok by the morning.

However, I'd stick with stage 1 milk, no need for hungrier baby as this might constipate her. I would heat it as well, and your DH should be prepared for her to turn her nose up at it, especially if she has never had formula before.

If you expressed immediately before you went out would you get enough for at least one mre feed in the night?

You've probably gone out already though

LackaDAISYcal Sat 16-Aug-08 20:21:53

lol moondog...you always put it more succinctly than anyone else wink

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 16-Aug-08 20:24:47

Message withdrawn

moondog Sat 16-Aug-08 20:26:17

Amount of alcohol in milk miniscule anyway. Tiktok, MN b/f oracle has posted extensively about this.

moondog Sat 16-Aug-08 20:26:47

And I'd also rather baby had a bit of Chablis than creepy formula.

Pannacotta Sat 16-Aug-08 20:30:42

Oh god yes just feed her.
I am breastfeeding and regularly have a couple of glasses of wine of an evening, sometimes more, agree with Moondog that Tiktok has posted loads to say its only a tiny tiny amount which transfers.

FattipuffsandThinnifers Sat 16-Aug-08 20:34:49

If you think you'll have had too much to drink to bf, a single formula feed is not going to do any harm, especially as she's over 7 months. Either stage 1 or 'follow-on' milk suitable, not hungry baby stage. Tbh if it was me I'd prefer to give formula rather than significant amounts of alcohol. Neither is the devil's work though.

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 16-Aug-08 20:36:29

Message withdrawn

ilovemydog Sat 16-Aug-08 20:37:06

where is tik?

moondog Sat 16-Aug-08 20:37:47

Getting a life I s'pose. smile

thisisyesterday Sat 16-Aug-08 20:40:58

hmm well I quite often have a glass of wine or several in the evenings and ds2 doesn't seem to have suffered from it lol

am sure she'll be fine with breastmilk, as moondog says, there won't be much alcohol in it anyway

Caz10 Sat 16-Aug-08 20:41:23

formula would mean you could hopefully snooze off the after effects for yourself though! grin

alternatively, you might find dh bringing crying baby to you at 3am cos she won't take the bottle!...

FattipuffsandThinnifers Sat 16-Aug-08 20:42:30

Cow's milk shouldn't be given as main drink before a year though? IME formula more appealing to babies too, prob as it's sweeter.

moondog Sat 16-Aug-08 20:44:07

Oh come on Caz. Dhs of the world always bring the baby to mother at 3:00 am whether breast or formula fed!

moondog Sat 16-Aug-08 20:44:36

And then utter immortal words.
'I think s/he wants you'

LackaDAISYcal Sat 16-Aug-08 20:47:42

it wouldn't be a main drink fattipuffs, it would be a one off. By main drink they mean at all milk feeds.

thisisyesterday Sat 16-Aug-08 20:51:55

wouldn't be a main drink though. it would be just a one off., no different to having it on cereal or whatever.

thisisyesterday Sat 16-Aug-08 20:52:43

dhs bring the baby to the mother....

someone tell MY dp this please. I just get "I think the baby is crying" and have to get him myself lol

moondog Sat 16-Aug-08 21:25:46

Oh dear! grin

chipmonkey Sat 16-Aug-08 21:41:39

Agree with everyone who said feed her! It's honestly not like giving her a glass of wine, the alcohol will be very dilute in the milk.

Ceolas Sat 16-Aug-08 21:45:30

Sounds like you're planning a serious night out, but as moondaog said, I'd feed her unless completely drunk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now