Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

BF while co sleeping and winding question???

(18 Posts)
Thankyouandgoodnight Fri 15-Aug-08 21:58:26

If you BF your LO in bed lying down - what do you do about winding them afterwards??? I would love to feed DS lying down but then having to leap up and wind him makes the whole thing a bit silly, so I just sit up to feed him. Can anyone remember when you can stop winding them??

LittleMissBliss Fri 15-Aug-08 22:09:59

I posted on this when i first started co-sleeping. I was worried because i wasn't winding and i would often wake up with a crusty bed and ds has cheesey ears and neck [heave]. but he soon grew out of this. And i was told it was very normal by othe mners.

notnowbernard Fri 15-Aug-08 22:12:11

I don't think I winded either of mine, really

Def not at night. We would feed lying down next to me, if we fell asleep they stayed there and if they finished and I was still awake I'd put them back in the cot next to me

LittleMissBliss Fri 15-Aug-08 22:14:18

You just need to lay your ds on a small towel and let him bring up his own wind and just give him a good clean in the morning.grin Hope you get some extra sleep through co-sleeping it was a life saver for me in the early days.

eyeballs Fri 15-Aug-08 22:16:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

onelittlelion Fri 15-Aug-08 22:23:14

Going back a bit but my ds didn't seem to ned winding when bf cosleeping and wasn't sick or anything - I must have been lucky! grin

ilovemydog Fri 15-Aug-08 22:27:41

in my unconcious state, sort of turn them on their side and pat... if he doesn't burp, in about a minute, I turn him back over on his back and go back to sleep and usually he does too!

PortAndLemon Fri 15-Aug-08 22:28:04

I just didn't wind at night unless she seemed in discomfort.

MadameOvary Fri 15-Aug-08 22:30:03

I wind if DD wakes. She sleeps next to me on a folded cot sheet which I change regularly.

Trafficcone Fri 15-Aug-08 22:44:18

I only winded him if he cried and if he did I put him in a sitting position over 1 arm and patted his back with my free hand, while lying on my side. Worked for me!

RockinSockBunnies Fri 15-Aug-08 23:17:06

I don't recall ever having to wind DD when we co-slept; she wasn't an especially windy baby though. The sheets were usually dripping with my milk in the early days anyway, so were being changed regularly if she ever did bring anything up but mostly I just dozed through feeds lying down and we both slept afterwards!

wahwah Sat 16-Aug-08 08:22:08

I don't bother winding at all - seems to make very little difference to mine. Boots have really good washable soft bed protectors in various sizes which I have found much nicer to sleep on and do protect my sheets from leakages.

shomes Sat 16-Aug-08 20:36:46

nowadays i don't wind him during the night as he usually passes it out the other way although with a bit of struggle. I found getting up useless for me as I was always tired and lying down was much easier!

Thankyouandgoodnight Sat 16-Aug-08 22:20:55

I don't think I can get away without winding - entire feeds come up if I'm not careful shock.

I would so love to co-sleep, feed and doze throughout and then both continue sleeping but I think realistically, I need to get us both up to get the man burps out.....what a nuisance

PortAndLemon Sun 17-Aug-08 13:39:13

As he gets older he'll need winding less, so it's something you could think about again every few weeks.

FrannyandZooey Sun 17-Aug-08 13:45:29

we also do lazy option and only wind in night if he seems distressed
he does posset quite impressively so we all end up covered at times
changing sheets occasionally no big deal compared to sitting up several times a night

IlanaK Sun 17-Aug-08 14:46:02

My ds3 is 4 weeks old and we are co-sleeping (first time for me). If I am awake at the end of a feed, I sit him up next to where I am laying for a minute to see if he burps. If he doesn't, I just lay him down on his back and leave him to it.

We have laid a muslin in the space between our pillows where he sleeps and also I have taken to putting a small towel near my side where he feeds as I got fed up of changing sheets.

HappypillsGalore Sun 17-Aug-08 14:50:26

thankyou - i used to bf lying down... and im rubbish at winding. so id hand him to dp whod do the winding (much more vigorously and far more effectively than me), then hed hand him back and go back to sleep.
as he got older he didnt really need it as much tbh. he just slept next to me, latched on and off at will and i hardly ever even woke up any more.
course that was with baby3 in 2.5 yrs so was experienced knackered enough for all neuroses and non-strictly necessary energy expnditure to have been cast aside wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now