Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

how long for a breast feed?

(8 Posts)
hermykne Mon 14-Feb-05 21:55:17

ds is now 6mths+2 and i am unsure whether he feeds enough, he has never really taken both boobs at the one feed. he usually selttles after one side and if i switch over he very quickly stops.
do you think he is getting enough? as tonight he seems rather unsettled after a good feed a 6 and roared and roared for it at 8.50.

the only time he takes a bottle 2pm, i know he gets 4oz then, and 2 in the night.

he can take the feed in 10mins? is that long enough or should i let him suckle on?

Twiglett Mon 14-Feb-05 22:03:36

have only ever fed both my children from one boob at a time

they both fed from birth in under 10 mins .. DD still bf now at 9.5 months (but only for about 5 mins)
'HTH

vicdubya Mon 14-Feb-05 22:03:36

I think it depends a lot on your let down etc.

DS has only ever fed on one side per feed. Any more in the early days (well, until about 7 months) and he threw up big time.

Occasionally he will move onto the other side before bed.

In the first few months a feed seemed to take 15-20 mins.

Now he usually feeds for about 10 mins, sometimes less.

He used also to sometimes wake again in the evening for a top up, until he was about 9 months.

So it sounds very similar to me!

As long as he's happy and thriving, sounds like your doing fine.

Katemum Mon 14-Feb-05 22:10:24

My dd only ever fed from one side and never for longer than 10 minutes.
She is 8 months now and is on bottles, she can down 9 oz in less than 10 minutes!

sweetkitty Mon 14-Feb-05 22:14:37

Glad I'm not the only one DD has only ever fed from one side and used to be 10 minutes then she would come off, now it's more like 5. Last time she ahd a bottle she downed 9ozs in 5 mins as well.

highlander Mon 14-Feb-05 22:40:46

DS is nearly 6 months. Since about 8 weeks, he has only fed for about 10 mins - however, he does have a suck like a Hoover He only ever takes one booby, I think he gets too full and uncomfortable if he tries any more. He feeds every couple of hours during the day, something I'm prone to encourage as he's become a bit refluxy since he started to move around.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 15-Feb-05 06:36:19

DS2 is 4.5 months, and rarely goes over five minutes for a feed, and rarely has two boobs.

He sometimes sucks for longer, and if he wants to, I'll let him, but I can tell he's not getting that much any more.

If he seems unsettled, why not let him have the other side? DS2 does that sometimes in the evening - I think the reservoirs are less full then, and he wants to eat loads to get ready for the night.

hermykne Tue 15-Feb-05 13:28:22

highlander thats hilarious - hoover! must tell my dh that one, now i have a phrase for him to imagine what breast feeding is like!

lots of you the same so thats great, thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now