Talk

Advanced search

REFLUX - urgent help please

(15 Posts)
Alambil Wed 13-Aug-08 23:41:46

MummyToLeon's little lad is FF and 5 weeks old. He's been diagnosed (if that's the right term) with Reflux and was put on a "light" formula to help.

He's taking Infacol which doesn't help and all he does is cry in pain/discomfort.

Basically, MTL is really worn out from the crying and wants to help her little boy; is there any advice or tips please to help?

Thanks everyone

CvQ Thu 14-Aug-08 00:00:52

i dont know about reflux but bumping for you.i hope someone can help gem x

Ledodgy Thu 14-Aug-08 00:02:30

I found aptimil easy digest to be the best formula for my two reflux babies.

Ledodgy Thu 14-Aug-08 00:02:58

also used tomme tippee closer to naure bottles.

MummyToLeon Thu 14-Aug-08 00:07:12

Thank you

I am using the tommee tippee closer to nature bottles and a formula the pead prescribed - Enfamil.

Bowddee Thu 14-Aug-08 00:12:47

Quick 'bump' for you, and now I really am going to bed. (Work tomorrow .)

SparklyGothKat Thu 14-Aug-08 00:15:46

callum had reflux, I found holding him upright for half hour after a feed helped a lot, i used a sling to do this

girasole Thu 14-Aug-08 00:49:52

Infant Gaviscon is good and agree with SGK, avoid lying him flat after feeds.

Fizzylemonade Thu 14-Aug-08 08:39:05

My son had severe reflux it broke my heart, started on gaviscon at 12 weeks it did nothing then he was prescribed Enfamil as your son is.

How long has he been on the Enfamil AR?

I don't think the bottle is the issue. We did the following

Feeding in a more upright position

Propped up after feeding (in bouncer but NO bouncing) grin never laid down

Sling to keep him upright (bit of attachment parenting, he was with me a lot and he was ds2 so I had 3 yr old ds1 to look after as I am sahm)

Cot props these

Winded a la babywhisperer so over your left shoulder to keep their stomach from being crunched over, both their arms over your shoulder, gentle upward strokes on their left side with your right hand.

ajm200 Thu 14-Aug-08 08:44:36

We found that infacol only worked for a very short period of time. Our son did much better on dentinox.

If the problem is severe, your GP can prescribe something to help.

DS was still bringing up some of his food when he was 9 months old and crawling. I hope that you can get this sorted out quickly as I know how worrying and frustrating it is.

Dawnie6577 Thu 14-Aug-08 09:18:31

Hi,
Reflux is absolutely horrible, but medications do help and if you can't find one that works, keep going back to doctors. I do think that doctors are quite apathetic towards it (particularly if baby is putting on weight), as it is a natural process for babies valve to develop, so they adopt a minimal intervention approach.
We personally found the first 12 weeks the hardest (although our DS at just about 10 months has just stopped being sick in last month or so). I think DS had colic and reflux (they are so closely related anyway), that after 12 weeks, the colic went and we could then work on managing the reflux. We were prescribed Ranitidine, which we also started taking in the 12th week and I will never know whether it was colic or the ranitidine which worked that week.
I agree with fizzylemonade 110%. Our DS used to spend every evening in the over the shoulder hold, and cry as soon as he even saw the cot. I think anything which provides comfort and keeping uprght and avoiding stomach being scrunched over. We used to ensure DS was upright for 20 mins after feeding.
I hope things improve for you. But keep on at the doctors, unless you've got a good one, my experience is that you have to push for reflux to be treated.

wheeler Thu 14-Aug-08 09:27:41

my 9mo DS was extremely refluxy (is really only just now bringing less milk back). i know how upsetting it can be. but - the main thing is that they are putting on weight and are otherwise helathy and happy, as far as you can tell. my DS is my first and i remember really panicking for the first few weeks, but i can say now it really has begun to pass and in retrospect was not a serious problem. i carried on exclusive breatfeeding to 6mths. so basically the furniture, sheets and cushions in our house have really suffered but he's ok. when he went on to solids it eased a bit, and as he's generally developed more (sitting up etc) it's got better. i never used any medications. in my experience it passed. good luck, first few mths are hard but do pass...

wheeler Thu 14-Aug-08 09:29:55

and this website is great:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

Fizzylemonade Thu 14-Aug-08 20:09:45

I'll bore everyone again with my story, ds2 was 10 weeks when it all started, he dropped his milk feed down from 6oz bottles to 2-3oz bottles but needed 10 - 12 feeds a day as he was obviously hungry every few hours. hmm

HV didn't care because he was putting on weight angry

Sling was a godsend, we saw GP who prescribed gaviscon, didn't work, went back he referred us to paed doc at hospital, we paid to go private cost £200 for one meeting. Paed guy was fantastic, understanding, sympathetic etc. Enfamil worked for us BUT it didn't stop him throwing up completely. He threw up but didn't scream the place down.

Ds1 also had reflux, he projectile vomited but it never bothered him so we never sort any medical intervention but he was diagnosed as reflux baby. He finally stopped chucking when he was upright so from about 9-10 months.

Hate to say this but ds2 finally stopped being on the Enfamil when he was 14 months! He has never taken to cows milk, we tried, he sicked up, like possetting.

Ds2 slept upright on me in the day until he was 12 months old but did sleep in his propped up cot at night. This was personal choice.

Keep going back if your lo doesn't do well on Enfamil.

ib Thu 14-Aug-08 20:20:03

I can't help on the ff as I bf ds, but I would second the sling (actually the baby bjorn was good for this) keeping him upright as much as possible, feeding little and often (don't know if this works with ff).

Ds slept on me on his stomach for the first six months - knackering, but he could not sleep on his back and I was too worried about sids (lost a brother to it) to be able to sleep if he was on his stomach in a cot!

And if he doesn't get better soon do push for the heavier drugs - ds finally went on them at about 5 months old and the change was miraculous. I am not particularly pro medication in general, but reflux is awful for babies, and the meds really can help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now