Talk

Advanced search

15 week-old fussing/crying/flailing limbs when being bf - help

(16 Posts)
snooks Wed 13-Aug-08 14:22:41

dd3 is 15 weeks and for the last week or so she has constantly fussed and cried when i bf her. she has still been sleeping well at night (usually goes from 8pm-ish til 5-6am before waking) but the last 2 nights has woken at least twice a night for feeds - last night at 11pm and then at 4am and not settling after the 4am feed.

is this a growth spurt? i seem to remember reading a few threads about 4 mth old babies being unsettled at this age but can't find the threads when i search...

she seems 'well' in herself but i'm worried my supply is rubbish. if i was worried about my supply when i fed ds1 i put my feet up for a bit and rested (and ate and drank more), but that's not really possible now with a 4yr old and 2 yr old! i can't remember what happened at this time with ds1 & 2....it's all a bit hazy.

any advice please? she doesn't seem her usual contented self at all. thanks.

snooks Wed 13-Aug-08 14:27:19

bit more info:

she acts like she has wind so i take her off the boob (not that she's really drinking anyway because of all the fussing) to wind her and she immediately starts sucking her fists as if she's starving - surely it must be my supply?

snooks Wed 13-Aug-08 14:41:10

bump

snooks Wed 13-Aug-08 15:52:49

ok
one last bump grin

anyone else experienced this please?

scorpio1 Wed 13-Aug-08 15:54:18

my 16 week old dd has been dping this for 2 weeks now; night wakings, 'cycling' when feeding etc.

They go through a stormy time about this age, apparently.

scorpio1 Wed 13-Aug-08 15:54:51

also feeding all the time - just try and stick with it, i guess. at least that is what im trying to do!!

MrsJamin Wed 13-Aug-08 15:56:31

Teething? My DS had his first teeth through at 4 months, and was unsettled like this at feeds for at least 6 weeks beforehand. Most babies seem to go 'backwards' in sleep around 4 months, from sleeping very well, to more night feeds again. Sounds very normal but isn't much fun, sorry don't have any advice but have sympathy!

snooks Wed 13-Aug-08 16:03:20

thanks - i think i just wanted to know it was 'normal'. oh blimey, i hope she's not teething - can't face both her and ds2 teething at the same time, that would be grim.

will keep feeding like you say scorpio, i s'pose that it will at least increase my supply if it is a growth spurt.

just when you feel like you're getting somewhere these babies like to pull the rug out from under you don't they...

TettyLouBar Wed 13-Aug-08 18:19:20

My dd doing same, first 5 mins of feed ok, then cries, flayling about, headbutting my chest. She's only 8 weeks old but dribbling loads and sucking her fists constantly. Is it teething at this early stage? The fussing has been going on for about 3 weeks now!
hmm

snooks Wed 13-Aug-08 19:56:14

tetty your dd sounds exactly like mine, except mine is a wee bit older. i suppose time will tell if it's teething..... although ds1 and ds2 didn't cut their first teeth til they were 9 months plus and i imagined dd would be similar.

let's hope it's a phase smile

pleasechange Wed 13-Aug-08 21:34:11

My DS doing exactly the same (currently 6 weeks and has been doing this since 4 weeks, although it is getting a bit better). I know though that his normal feeding duration is 20 mins, so I put up with the fussing until 20 mins is up, and then settle him with dummy. It is very wearing though, so sympathies

pudding25 Wed 13-Aug-08 22:09:20

Yup, me too. DD 13 wks and the other wk was doing all of this really badly. Dr said it might be teething. This past wk, she has been feeding much better again.

tori32 Wed 13-Aug-08 22:14:56

Teething starts long before teeth appear as they shift position and move down towards the gums. I feel your pain it is endless sad My dd2 has been like this on and off for ages, now 20wks

MadameOvary Wed 13-Aug-08 22:23:16

DD 18wks did this tonight, nodded off on the boob then I moved away and she woke up and flailing/cycling started. She did an almighty fart during so I figured it was wind and held off feeding - cue misery and tears while I rubbed her tummy. I then did mass distraction thru rocking her while talking nonsense then when she was calm but her back on the boob till she nodded off.
She is def. teething too.

wheeler Thu 14-Aug-08 09:37:40

my 9mo DS did this for a while. it's unpleasant i know and makes you feel you're doing it wrong / inadequate. i used to keep his head and neck as upright as poss, ie not have him horizontal while feeding. i also used to distract/calm him by singing etc. and i used to change breast, which often helped - except i do wonder if that is what's got me to 9mths with ahuge right reast and small left one!

tori32 Thu 14-Aug-08 20:40:03

LOL at the potential of wheeler walking with a limp grin I too am in the rightsided club grinLOL

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now