Talk

Advanced search

Aagh at dr's advice! is it any wonder I stopped bf at 3 weeks last time?!

(14 Posts)
Umlellala Wed 13-Aug-08 12:58:06

Just been to walk-in centre for ds's nappy rash (suspected thrush... aye), was told by nurse I should be feeding him every 3 hours, and by the doctor that I should give him a bottle to help him sleep shock

Now, the hv that visited last week was fab (and gave me practical advice to help him go longer) and the woman in the pharmacy said we looked 'beautiful', ds feeding in the sling grin but it's so hit and miss. Last time I stopped bf at 3 weeks when the feeding (mixed but mainly bf) was actually fine, I think because I thought I was doing something wrong in dd wanting to feed a lot (which ff did nothing to change and no, she didn't sleep better either).

This time, I am better equipped and informed (thanks mainly to mumsnet - and kellymom etc) and know that it's ok for ds to want to suck for food/building supply/to get to sleep or comfort (espesh if his bum is hurting, poor thing!).

It is, isn't it?

StealthPolarBear Wed 13-Aug-08 13:00:45

shock
did they give you that advice or did you ask for it?

Umlellala Wed 13-Aug-08 13:17:45

nope, completely unprompted! I just muttered something vague and breezy about 'oh, well i am sure it's for comfort too' and whipped my boob out (to prove the point - ie he stopped crying grin) - i just went 'hmmmmm' to the dr...

theyoungvisiter Wed 13-Aug-08 13:21:05

Of course it's fine!!

DS fed every 2 hours until about 6 months, when he still consumed something every two hours, it's just it was sometimes solid and sometimes bf! He is now 2 and still a snacker - it's just temperamental I guess.

Unless they have a good, evidence-based reason about why your actions might be harming your child IGNORE any advice that you don't want.

Dawnie6577 Wed 13-Aug-08 13:32:10

I can't believe health professionals say stuff like this! Give him a bottle to help him sleep!!!!angry
Of course its OK for your ds to suck for food/supply/comfort/sleep ... that's what babies do and what every other animal in the animal kingdom does! It's just a shame that we are so distant to what is natural now. Keep going, trust your instincts and enjoy!

morethanasong Wed 13-Aug-08 13:46:05

I've heard so many things like this from various health professionals, and mums I meet at our breastfeeding group all have as well. As you say, is it any wonder that new mums give up before they really want to, when they're getting this sort of 'advice'?

Umlellala Wed 13-Aug-08 15:19:24

Oh, just remembered, the nurse also asked if he had diarrhoea (WTF he is exclusively bf and 3 weeks old?!) and told me to give him cooled boiled water to wash milk away from tongue... haven't heard this before, thought bm was enough?

StealthPolarBear Wed 13-Aug-08 15:21:01

I normally talk about how I'm not an expert and get my advice checked but I feel suitably qualified to say:

That's BOLL*CKS!

PortAndLemon Wed 13-Aug-08 15:24:12

The only sane thing I can imagine she meant is "as a one-off, give him cooled boiled water to wash milk away from tongue so you can check for thrush spots". But I have a nasty suspicion that's not what she was on about.

3andnomore Wed 13-Aug-08 15:24:28

Grrr...honest to god....people that give breastfeeding advice in a professional position should get up to date information or they should just zip it....grrrrrrrrrr

3andnomore Wed 13-Aug-08 15:25:37

Actually, I think you should coplain about them, because that will make them think....maybe....that, if they want to give advice it should be about something they actually know somehting about.....

StealthPolarBear Wed 13-Aug-08 15:27:13

Good point. I'm very quick to jump in shake my head but for things to change we should be making the point to the people who matter.

Umlellala Wed 13-Aug-08 15:38:25

Who would I complain to? Actually, funnily enough I noticed they had a new poster about making a complaint (should have read it more carefully!)

StealthPolarBear Wed 13-Aug-08 15:45:28

Your PCT, the patient involvement dept (sometimes called PALS). Or they may have a breastfeeding coordinator - where abouts are you?
Just point out that the advice contradicted the NHS's own advice and the WHO & Unicef's baby friendly initiative.
Can find links if you like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now