Talk

Advanced search

expressing

(9 Posts)
blondiep14 Wed 13-Aug-08 11:09:21

Finally got around to expressing this morning, didn't get quite as much as i'd hoped (about 40ml) but plan to add to it thru the day. Is this ok?
Plan to put in to a milk bag then top up each time i've pumped before freezing tonight - ok?

whiteorchid Wed 13-Aug-08 14:06:57

I had a thing about freezing the milk immediately, so would just use separate bags, and then use mix them up once defrosted.

It is a bit slow when you first start, but it will get easier. Also, have you tried expressing while breastfeeding, ie feed on one side, express the other? I found that made a huge difference to the amount I could express, and it meant I only had to do it once a day.

Piccalilli2 Wed 13-Aug-08 14:29:48

I think that each time you pump you're supposed to chill that batch before adding it to the previous batch so you're not adding 'warm' milk to already chilled milk. But once it's chilled you can mix it before freezing the lot.

Dawnie6577 Wed 13-Aug-08 15:58:17

Deffo agree with Piccalilli - the milk needs to be same temperature before mixing.
Also, it is quite useful to freeze in say 2-3 oz. That way, you don't waste any/defrost what you need and they are quicker to defrost.

blondiep14 Wed 13-Aug-08 16:14:58

Cheers!
Any other tips? Total novice at the moment, obviously.
How much would a nearly 9 month old need for one feed do you think? Am starting to express for when i go back to work and DS will be almost 9 months by then.
If say I sent over 2 defrosted bags and MIL only used one, would she be able to keep the other defrosted bag in the fridge and use the next day?
Also, do you reheat EBM or give at room temp? Am hoping to give in a beaker as he's never had a bottle and seems easier to give a beaker now.

blondiep14 Wed 13-Aug-08 16:23:21

Sorry, one more question - how long do you pump for?!
(will try pumping & feeding at the same time when DS isn't sleepy!).

Dawnie6577 Wed 13-Aug-08 17:23:11

I asked my HV same question - how much milk to give? She said to give it until DS wouldn't take any more! (Not helpful).

I would trial and error it, but maybe 6-7oz (mind you, will depend on how many feeds he has over 24 hours and his size. My DS feeds for England!). I am sure every mum would have a different guess / opinion on how much!? You will work it out after a few goes and see what he takes.

I believe you can keep it defrosted for 24 hours, but I would double check this on Internet - Breastfeeding Network, NCT, Kellymom sites. I wouldn't want to get that wrong.

I have reheated EBM, purely cos it is either in fridge or as way of defrosting. But again, whatever your LO will take really. I believe either are fine, but personally, I think warmer must be nicer?

I pump for 20 minutes ish (but as I am now cutting back, I have to pump a little longer to get the same).

Also, I always freeze with bag 'lying down' (again, quicker to defrost, assuming you are using airtight bags!!?) and put all bags in a tupperware box, just in case of any leakages!

It can help to express after a bath / massage your boobs (can't think of a better word!) before expressing and some say to think of your baby/having picture nearby (personally this didn't make any difference to me!).

You will find that you will make more, the more you express.

Good luck !

blondiep14 Wed 13-Aug-08 17:47:08

Thanks Dawnie - no, that isn't helpful, typical HV comment tho i suppose no-one can tell.
I do hope i start getting more soon!
Thanks for all your tips!

JammyQueenOfTheSewers Wed 13-Aug-08 18:01:17

DD was 7months when I went to work 2 days a week. I sent 2 beakers expressed milk in, I think she had them cold/at room temp. I asked HV how much I should expect to need for each beaker, and she suggested starting at 6oz, and nursery would soon say if not enough/too much and could adjust. I expressed 20min twice a day at work and got enough for 1 or 1 and half beakers, then made up difference with formula - I reasoned that at that age a few oz formula 2 days a week was OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now