Talk

Advanced search

bf to cows milk at 1 year

(9 Posts)
conkertree Tue 12-Aug-08 21:37:27

have been bfeeding ds (turned 1 last week) but would like to introduce other milk as well now. Tried formula a couple of months ago but he threw it up both times we tried, so have left it till he turned 1.

Have given him wee bits of cows milk in a cup to see if he reacts ok to it, and although he hasnt been sick, he doesnt seem to like the taste.

Just wondered whether anyone had any advice for helping to introduce cows milk as a main day time drink? Is it just a case of giving him a bit each day till he gets used to it?

katiepotatie Tue 12-Aug-08 21:41:31

I swapped bf for cows milk at 1 too, but DD didn't seem to like the taste, we diluted with a little boiled water,half and half to start with (suggested by health visitor) and gradually reduced the water, she happily gulps down 7 oz of cows milk morning and night now smile

conkertree Sun 17-Aug-08 21:40:48

thanks for the advice katie - in the past he's had weetabix/rice krispies with water and fruit puree, but have been trying mixing half and half water and cows milk, and a bit of fruit, and so far, he seems to be taking to that better than just milk with no water - so will try that in a cup this week.

GreenMonkies Sun 17-Aug-08 21:44:52

If he doesn't like cows milk how about goats milk? He may like the taste slightly better, although I think it tastes virtually the same, but, if he has reacted badly to cows milk in the past he may find goats milk more digestable.

VeniVidiVickiQV Sun 17-Aug-08 21:49:01

Ditto what greenmonkies said. Cows milk is not the be all and end all.

If you carry on b/feeding him just once a day that will be plenty in terms of nutrients anyway.

Onlyaphase Sun 17-Aug-08 21:52:19

My DD was BF til 13 months (hated formula and would throw up on it the twice I tried), and didn't like cows milk at all when I introduced it at a year. She would have a couple of mouthfuls twice a day, if that. I just made sure she had plenty of cheese/yoghurt/milky sauces/ milky cereal etc every day to make up for the lack of actual milk drinking....it was that or go mad with worry about the whole thing.

At 22 months now, she will drink half a cup of cows milk 2 or 3 times a day, so it has got better.

elmoandella Sun 17-Aug-08 21:53:21

or try making his cereals with cows milk instead of water? then try again once he's used to it.

zebedee1 Sun 17-Aug-08 22:02:24

I have been offering DS -15 mths- cows milk for the last 6 months and formula since he was 6 mths old but he will not drink either! My Dr said not to worry if kids won't drink cows milk or formula just as long as you give them dairy in their diet - and you can carry on BFing aswell.

aprilitisthen Wed 20-Aug-08 16:23:42

posting for conkertree - she cant get to the computer just now.

thanks for the advice - have tried the milk in cereal, and he seems to be taking it fine, so will carry on with that, and try and introduce more cheese/yoghurt etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now