Talk

Advanced search

Colics after each feed- desperate!

(5 Posts)
Teoroy Tue 12-Aug-08 19:31:24

Hiya,
my baby is 5+ weeks old. She was tongue-tied and hasn't learned to stick her tongue yet so I have been in bf hell for a long time.
Every time when she starts bfeeding though she seems to get colics- noisy rumbling in her tummy and she starts crying, pulling herself off the breast and we are having long, interrupted feeds.
What shall I do? I am in despair!!!

Thank you

teo

gagarin Tue 12-Aug-08 19:37:49

Some things to suggest

Do you have a very fast let down reflex? So that after a few sucks she start choking and gulping loads of air down? If so you could detach her at the first splutter and wait for that gush to ease before re-attaching her.

Have you tried feeding her in a more upright position - you sit cross-legged and her bottom and feet go in the hole between your legs so she's nearly upright. Can help with wind but it's a bit fiddly.

Feeding upright can also help with reflux. This can be because as she starts the feed lying down when the milk goes into her tummy there is some backflow and some stomach acid comes back out of her tummy and burns the bottom of her oesophagus. Hurts like hell and leads to struggling and backarching as feeding gets going.

Teoroy Tue 12-Aug-08 21:49:01

Hi Gagarin,
I haven't notice the gulping. I shall try the position. I've found lying down the most comfortable though for my poor nipples.

Can this reflux be diagnosed and helped by any other way?

Thank you for the suggestion. (Interesting nickname. Is it after the astronaut?)

gagarin Wed 13-Aug-08 19:18:13

There are loads of threads on here about reflux - basically alter positioning, if no better then see GP for possible gaviscon prescription(which is a feed thickener not a medicine or a drug), if no better back to GP for ranitidine and domperidone (antacids which are medicines).

How did it go trying to keep upright? Any success or did she just mash your nipples?

katierocket Wed 13-Aug-08 19:19:01

what are her nappies like? colour/consistency etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now