Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone with a tongue-tied baby?

(11 Posts)
Teoroy Tue 12-Aug-08 17:45:58

Hello!
After a month in breastfeeding hell and the assurance of the midwife and HV that the baby is not tongue-tied a LLL consultant diagnosed my baby and we had her tongue snipped. I hoped that everything will be sorted and I could have a pain free bf.
Unfortunately the baby hasn't learned to stick her tongue out and I still end up with my nipples between her gums.
How did you teach your baby to stick her tongue out? What's your experience in general? Thank you!!

Teo

Teoroy Wed 13-Aug-08 07:33:12

bump

spottedandstriped Wed 13-Aug-08 08:29:37

Hello

My baby was tonguetied and only got diagnosed after breastfeeding hell and I saw a lactation consultant 11 weeks down the line. I would say that you should practice with your baby sticking your tongue out - he/she eventually will try to copy you. Also stand in front of the mirror pulling faces - the baby will like this and eventually start to try and copy you.

It has taken a few weeks but the breastfeeding has definitely improved for me. There are also some "tongue exercises" you can do which my lactation consultant gave to me. If you CAT me/let me know what your email is I would be happy to send them to you.

Hope this helps?

Eirlys Wed 13-Aug-08 09:38:28

hiya,

There are some exercises in La Leche League's breastfeeding answer book. Maybe your LLL consultant could help - it does help to have someone showing you. I thought that ds was chewig my nipple between his gums but in fact he was compressing it between his tongue and palate. I had to push down on his tongue with my finger at the back of the throat - just before the gag-point, to teach him how to shape hs tongue.

It does get better - my baby had "the snip" at 7 weeks and it felt like he was still chewing my nipple at first..... but by 10 weeks feeding was pain free. Yippee!!!!Three months later we're still going strong!

good luck smile!

Teoroy Wed 13-Aug-08 11:44:03

Oh my God. I hope it improves! Thanks.
What's the title of the book? The LC said just to poke my tongue out at her but I don't think this would help straight away.

Teoroy Wed 13-Aug-08 11:47:11

oh, my email is tedy05@hotmail.com

spottedandstriped Wed 13-Aug-08 14:00:15

Hi Teoroy

Have just sent you the tongue exercises by email.

Best wishes

EmKathryn Thu 23-Oct-08 16:10:38

Just read this. My son's tongue tie was cut at 5 months. I was desperate. breastfeeding had already failed and he wouldn't eat solids. No help from hv or midwife.

In the end we went privately to have it cut, it took ages to wean him, but I think we're there now - he's 13 months and eating pasta for first time. It's been a big struggle!

pudding25 Thu 23-Oct-08 19:45:44

DD's was cut at 3 wks. We were lucky. Only got diagnosed by chance when I went to breastfeeding group when I came out of hospital. Midvives and hospital paedatrician did not spot it.

roundgirl Thu 23-Oct-08 20:33:50

hiya, my dd had a tongue tie that was not diagnosed by any midwives or hv's. Very frustrating!! breastfeeding was not working so we paid for a breastfeeding consultant to come round who suggested nipple shields. As soon as I used them she latched on straight away and fed perfectly. She has learnt to use her tongue properly with them. The only problem is that now we have had the tongue tie snipped she is still using the nipple shields and i can't make any head way getting her off them!

thisisyesterday Thu 23-Oct-08 20:35:29

teoroy, I think the best thing you could do would be to go back to the LLL consultant and get more face-to-face advice. make sure latch/positioning is all ok etc as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now