why?
any benefit in not eating it?

StellaWasADiver Tue 12-Aug-08 13:51:46

shock

there's nothing i don't eat - quite literally at times

StellaWasADiver Tue 12-Aug-08 13:52:09

who told you that anyway?

belgo Tue 12-Aug-08 13:52:32

that's rubbish. You can eat whatever you like while breastfeeding.

lilyloo Tue 12-Aug-08 13:54:27

Didn't realise there wasn't anything you couldn't eat whilst bf hmm after feeding all 3 of mine blush
I just thought you had to watch spicy food / windy food cauliflower etc. caffeine ?

mummy2bsoon Tue 12-Aug-08 13:58:06

i tink coz they all windy food, and wil upset the baby!

i dunno

so its rubbish yeh?

tegan Tue 12-Aug-08 13:58:15

i was told with dd2 not to eat tomatoes when bfing. and of course you must still stay off the nuts

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Tue 12-Aug-08 13:58:18

I stopped eating dairy products whilst bf DD1 as she had severe milk allergy and it's often recommended. I don't think omitting the dairy from my diet made any difference with her but I believe it works in some cases.

(Too many raw carrots will give you both terrible wind). blush <parp>

belgo Tue 12-Aug-08 13:59:08

you're not allowed to eat nuts? I did.

PortAndLemon Tue 12-Aug-08 14:00:05

Nothing, eat what you like. No effects from spicy/"windy" food IME (except fenugreek capsules, which didn't agree with me or DS).

Pidge Tue 12-Aug-08 14:00:06

Personally I think it's absolute rubbish. I'm yet to see any EVIDENCE for this kind of stuff. Though you'll get lots of people swearing "my baby was miserable, and then I gave up artichokes" and that kind of stuff. But I don't trust a statistical sample of one, based on intuition and heaven knows what!

I ate anything and everything. Particularly cakes grin.

belgo Tue 12-Aug-08 14:01:46

A large proportion of the the world's population eat spicy foods as a regular part of their diets, presumably they don't stop eating it while breastfeeding.

ChukkyPig Tue 12-Aug-08 14:10:54

I ate anything I fancied while BF. No-one told me otherwise. I know some people avoid caffeine, that's quite big in america I think.

The things you have been told to avoid seem a bit odd as well. If it was shellfish and rare meat you had been told to avoid for example, I could maybe see where they were coming from (although I'd tuck into those while BF personally). But peas?

hanaflower Tue 12-Aug-08 14:18:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

broccolispears Tue 12-Aug-08 14:19:55

The only thing I avoid is caffine.

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Tue 12-Aug-08 14:27:08

Hash cakes

Notyummy Tue 12-Aug-08 14:31:56

You must never eat cake.

No .

Never.

Grilled chicken, fish and some dark green nutricious veg. Perhaps some skimmed milk.

Notyummy Tue 12-Aug-08 14:32:17

grin

JoyS Tue 12-Aug-08 14:32:53

Very sensible, Duchess.

Goober Tue 12-Aug-08 14:36:22

Cauliflower.(True)
Alcohol.(True)
Caffeinated drinks.(True)
And definately NO chocolate. (Send it all to me!) LIE

Miggsie Tue 12-Aug-08 14:36:22

I discovered that eating quite a lot of liquorice resulted in DD havng the most runny and explosive poo ever, accompanied by screaming.
Cabbage seemed to do her no good either.

But my wise MIL and mother of 4 says it varies from woman to woman/baby to baby.
She could not eat onions with her third child, no issues with the others.

mummy2bsoon Tue 12-Aug-08 14:43:51

hm

wastingmyeducation Tue 12-Aug-08 14:45:29

I have found cutting the caffeine out definitely benefited my DS.
I wouldn't avoid anything unless it had already had a negative effect.

xx

PortAndLemon Tue 12-Aug-08 14:53:48

With both DCs I've introduced caffeine gently, starting in the day just in case it affects them, but no obvious effect at all.

BouncingTurtle Tue 12-Aug-08 14:54:24

Mummy2bsoon - I think that advice is duff myself...
It is also false to say you need to drink milk to make milk.
What you need is vast amounts of chocolate - absolutely essential for successful breastfeeding wink

Just eat the sort of sensible diet that everyone should eat, five a day fruit and veg, plenty of protein and carbs, not too much fat. You will find yourself very hungry so you'll need to eat a bit more, but that's ok coz bfing burns calories. Remember you could have the crappiest diet in the worls and still be able to successfully breastfeed - you'll just feel shit, tis all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now