Talk

Advanced search

A space to express milk at work

(3 Posts)
star6 Tue 12-Aug-08 10:01:26

Hi all.. I just posted this on pregnancy and it was suggested that I post here. I've gotten some websites, but apparently it's not an actual "law"... has anyone had an experience like this where there is no actual space provided? I'm hoping we will work something out - employers are very reasonable, but worried that since it's only suggested as "best practice" it might be a problem. I don't want to not be able to breastfeed because of this...
Here's my post:

I've been searching and can't find official in writing anything about the UK law that states that workplaces need to require a private space for breastfeeding mums returning to work to express breastmilk. Does anyone know off the top of their head where this is/or have it bookmarked already for themselves?

It has been suggested that I do it in the staff toilet shock
I'm a very private person. I'm a very (nearly ocd) CLEAN person (I know,I know, I'll have to let go when baby comes). But no way I want to express my baby's milk in a toilet! Or... AIBU?

chipmonkey Tue 12-Aug-08 10:38:28

No YANBU, they should not be suggesting you express in the toilet! Ask them if they would eat a sandwich that someone had prepared in the loo!
(btw, I have expressed in toilets if there was nowhere else and none of the ds's ever came to any harm as a result.
AFAIK, there is no law, only guidelines but print the guidelines off anyway and maybe don't mention in handing them over that it's not law.

tellnoone Tue 12-Aug-08 19:45:13

Hi, I am back at work and expressing every lunchtime. It's true there is no law to protect women and ensure they have time and space to do it at work BUT there is health and safety regulations that say employers should provide a safe place to express and store milk - I think, from what I can recall. I also think it actually says that toilets are not appropriate. If you search for H&S executive you might find it. Compliance with H&S regulations IS a serious deal for employers and they should comply with all of it but I don't know exactly what would happen if they refused to comply. Also there is an NHS leaflet for employers encouraging them to make provisions because it aids retention of staff, reduces sick days/days off to look after sick babies etc. I looked all this up before I returned to work so there is info out there, I just don't have it bookmarked in favourites to link for you unfortunately. It's also worth working it out so that you can do it without eating into work time to keep your employer sweet iyswim! hth smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now