Talk

Advanced search

bf 3mo hasn't pooed for over a week. Should I be concerned?

(8 Posts)
franke Tue 12-Aug-08 09:18:37

He usually poos every 2-3 days but now hasn't pooed since a mammoth session last Monday. Everything else seems okay - lots of wet nappies, generally bright and cheerful. But he does grunt and strain a lot and has evil smelling wind. He's also feeding more at the mo which I assume is a growth spurt.

Should I be concerned?

(btw I put this in this topic because I assume it is linked to bf in some way)

franke Tue 12-Aug-08 09:19:21

I mean he's breastfed btw.

ilovemydog Tue 12-Aug-08 09:23:13

Had a similar issue with DS (5 months) last week. Ended up calling NHS direct and while the nurse was on the phone, he, um, produced quite audibly and she said something like, 'guess you won't be needing any further advice!' blush

I seem to remember that passing wind means everything is working, but am not sure how long to leave it, but a week is about as long as I'd leave it, personally.

SalLikesCoffee Tue 12-Aug-08 09:25:51

That's fine in an exclusively breastfed baby. Apparently even once in 2 weeks is acceptable, as long as he has all the other signs you're mentioning (wet nappies, generally healthy etc).

Good luck for when it does eventually happen! wink

ajm200 Tue 12-Aug-08 09:26:21

Breastfed babies can go a long time between poos. If you are concerned, you could speak to your health visitor.

When my son was older and got a bit constipated my mum gave him a floz of brown sugar and water in his bottle, that got things moving

LackaDAISYcal Tue 12-Aug-08 09:26:26

It's quite common for BF babies to settle down into this pattern after an initial period of pooing frequently. My DD went from 12 poos a day to one huge one every three or four days at about 10 weeks old, before settling into a better routine two a day at about 16 weeks. ot sure about the straining though or the foul smelling wind. Could this be sue to something in your diet? cabbage and brussel sprouts etc used to really upset my DD.

there is information on stoolshere on kellymom with links to further information.

hth smile

LackaDAISYcal Tue 12-Aug-08 09:29:40

ajm200, exlcusively BF babies ahouldn't need anything other than BM, certainly not sugared water, although I appreciate that it was probably common in your mum's generation to do this.

franke Tue 12-Aug-08 09:36:07

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering about my own diet Lacka and its effect on the milk. I'm actually avoiding cabbage type foods for the reason you state but I am eating quite a lot of sweeties blush and wonder if that would affect the milk in some way.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on him for the mo and yes, Sal, I'm bracing myself grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now