Talk

Advanced search

Will I leak if I am pregnant and having a weekend away from my BF toddler?

(8 Posts)
Tapster Tue 12-Aug-08 09:16:49

I'm planning a weekend away when I will be around 25 weeks pregnant, now 9 weeks. I don't know if my 21 month old DD will have self-weaned by then or not - I do live in hope I have to admit.

If not, will I leak or get a build up of milk even if I am pregnant? Will I be uncomfortable and need a breast pump? I only feed morning and night. I'll be away two nights but its a yoga weekend and I don't want to feel uncomfortable.

DwayneDibbley Tue 12-Aug-08 09:22:09

Message withdrawn

theyoungvisiter Tue 12-Aug-08 09:29:44

I am pregnant and feeding my DS (25 months) and recently had 48 hours without feeding - not intentional - that's just the way it worked out.

Didn't notice a thing except possible very slightly fuller breasts at the end of it. I am 23/4 weeks now and have very little milk left - just a tiny squeeze of colostrum

But it probably depends on your supply and how demanding your toddler is. OTOH you can always hand express if you need to. Or borrow a small manual pump just in case?

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 12-Aug-08 09:31:25

I doubt you'll even notice. I feed my 2.6 yr old many more times a day than you do (and am also pg) and can easily go a couple of days without.

ajm200 Tue 12-Aug-08 09:32:24

You could get very uncomfortable so I agree with DwayneDibbly, take a pump along. You might also need to get some breast shells to catch any leaks. You can also get some rubber breastpads, it think they are called lilypadz, that are comfy and stop leaks.

If you don't do anything, you could end up really suffering. I was in real pain when my 6 week old son who fed every 2 hours suddenly slept through the night.

theyoungvisiter Tue 12-Aug-08 13:19:13

Re: amj's post - I used to have to get up in the night to express if my DS slept through, right up until he was about 18 months old, but your supply does normally drop when you are pregnant (and of course will have dropped anyway if you are now down to 2 feeds a day). I don't think it's really comparable to feeding a 6 week old when your boobs are still super enthusiastic and spurting everywhere!

There is also some theory about pregnancy causing "leaky" boobs, - not leaky externally but internally - ie milk that wuold normally build up in your breasts is actually reabsorbed into the body more quickly. I forget the science but it's something to do with the extra progesterone hmm? Or am I talking complete bollocks? Am at work so can't look up the relevent book but it's something I read in a LLL book.

Anyway, I think it's very unlikely you'll become seriously engorged at 25 weeks pg as I don't know anyone who has (even people who stopped completely) but you might as well take a pump if you are worried.

HaventSleptForAYear Tue 12-Aug-08 13:22:08

I went away for four days recently (DS2 18 mths).

I pumped every morning after my shower for about 5 mins as a kind of prevention thing and also not to lose my supply entirely.

No leaks but I have never leaked since he was born!

Tapster Wed 13-Aug-08 10:54:14

Thanks for the advice - i will take my pump along with me but I'm not convinced I will become engorged. I don't feel full in the mornings at all. Will take some breast pads as I only stopped leaking at 12 months. Forgot about those. May use the opportunity to wean my DD if she hasn't already by then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now