Talk

Advanced search

Switching bfeeding to formula

(7 Posts)
Dawnie6577 Mon 11-Aug-08 12:40:22

Hi,
My son is 10 months old the end of next week.
I have been predominantly bfeeding and introduced just a bit of formula from 5 months for his last feed.

In the last month or so, he is now:

Bfeed 7am
Formula at 10.30am (although he only takes 2oz and that is a bit of an effort!)
Bfeed at 3.30pm
Bottle at 6.30pm, about 9oz in total (half expressed, half formula).

However, I am expressing less and less off, can now only get 2oz (used to get 7!).
But this is fine, cos I want to wean him slowly off anyway in the next couple of months.

Anyhow, my question is: I want to stop expressing now and just bfeed first thing and in the afternoon.

Will stopping expressing before I go to bed affect my supply the following day for the other bfeeds?

Sorry for ramble,
Dawnie x

PS I am ready to stop breastfeeding now, and it is something I have done for longer than I ever thought I would, but it is something I have taken a long time to decide over.

moondog Mon 11-Aug-08 12:42:02

Yes it will.
Well done for breastfeeding so long. He doesn't need formula. Ordinary milk would do.

Dawnie6577 Mon 11-Aug-08 12:46:42

Thanks for responding.
I thought they needed 20oz of breast/form up to 1?
TBH he is eating a lot of food now (and always milky puddings or yoghurt every day and he eats quite a bit of food in cheese sauce).

PS I am trying to cut back gradually to avoid the pain of stopping suddenly, eek!

moondog Mon 11-Aug-08 12:49:37

Well my baby weaned himself off the breast at 11mths and never had any other milk.

moondog Mon 11-Aug-08 12:50:05

Formula for older babies is an expensive conspiracy. Save your money.

Dawnie6577 Mon 11-Aug-08 12:56:15

Ok, thanks for responding. He is quite a chubby baby too.
I have only started him with formula for mid-morning feed in the last month. Seeing him take just 2oz makes me wonder how much he has been getting from me!
I have loved bfeeding and will miss the closeness, but so excited about:
1)Drunken night out (has been 19 months!)
2)Nice bras again
3)No dried milk on me! (Or sick, he had a habit of that during his reflux period!)

Thanks again.

moondog Mon 11-Aug-08 12:59:35

Enjoy it and celebrate a job well done! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now