Talk

Advanced search

Gradually cutting down on breastfeeds and feeling v hormonal!

(4 Posts)
auntierissy Sat 09-Aug-08 19:18:02

Did anyone else have this problem? DD is nearly 8 months old and I am keen to wean her, but having been feeling quite depressed and hormonal the last few weeks. I am very happy with my lovely baby and generally with life (apart from usual frustrations!) but feeling really blue and can't seem to shake it. Can anyone help?

kellyannlondon Thu 14-Aug-08 20:36:07

Hi auntierssy

My DS is nearly 7 months old and have been cutting down the BFing and have to say I have been surprised at how emotional I feel about it. We had a shaky start to BF and I nearly gave up the first week so never expected to feel upset to be giving it up.

I've been feeling guilty that somehow I'm failing but DS is now so fidgety and pinches and grabs my breasts so that BF has become a bit of a battle.

My DH said to me that instead of focusing on feeling bad for giving up some feeds, I should think of how much good I've done by breastfeedng and that should be proud of sticking to it.

Don't know if you've already started dropping feeds but would definitely recommend doing it gradually. I started by droppng one feed a day and then increasing to two. I've found that my body has adjusted well and am not getting engorged breasts.

Hope it helps to know someone else is gong through it. Just focus on how well you've done and the wonderful start you've given your baby.

merryberry Thu 14-Aug-08 21:34:59

ditto kelly. from me i'm afraid you just have to go through it, i remember with ds1 that i did lots of hard walking round my neighbourhood in the evening to get my mood under some kind of control. my main thought was that i felt less of a mother for stopping. ie, losing a big bit of mothering . baby getting older and really needing me in a million other ways taught me how that wasn'tg so. good luck.

likessleep Thu 14-Aug-08 22:25:41

I'm about to do the same thing with my 9 month old DS. We are cutting back gradually, but I feel sad every time I feed him now, knowing that there aren't many left.
Hugs to you all.
PS but at the same time, planning my first drinking session since January 2007 (that makes me sound like a bad mother!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now