Talk

Advanced search

Why does my bf ds wake up soooo often in the night!

(7 Posts)
GillianLovesMarmite Sat 09-Aug-08 12:50:21

My ds is 6mo and 2wk and is virtually exclusively bf - we are doing blw and he has tried a few bits and pieces, but this is sporadic as he is often not interested, so all of his nutrition is from bf.
However, for the past couple of weeks he has been feeding more and more often during the night - not too much of a problem as his cot is right next to my side of the bed so I just grab him and pop him on.
But, it is getting to be a problem as I'm getting less and less sleep!..
Just wondering if anyone else has had this?
Will it pass? Is there anything I can do?
I'm not expecting him to sleep through (he's 6mo and bf - chance would be a fine thing grin).
I would just like more sleep (and more time with dh while ds is alseep grin).

freakypenguin Sat 09-Aug-08 12:56:17

my ds2 is bf too (you knew that from the other thread <<waves at GlM>>)

he is a rubbish sleeper. 2 and a half hours is the most he's ever done between waking. i stick it out until about 2am then put him in bed with me so i can stay lying down.

it will pass. it's not just waking because of hunger. it's a confidence thing. coping in the dark on your own is a big thing for a baby to master, and some do it sooner than others.

having said my DS2 a rubbish sleeper, he is currently sleeping suspended in a baby bouncer in the kitchen doorway! i should be washing up really...

freakypenguin Sat 09-Aug-08 12:58:40

btw, i am called Gillian and also love marmite!

Gina80 Sat 09-Aug-08 13:01:49

I took a deep breath a moved DS into his own room at a couple of weeks older than yours. (bf & blw'ed too) and got him a night light. That night he slept a solid 6 hrs before his first wake (unheard of!) - I didn't, I constantly checked him!!! I guess it was quiter than sharing our room and not as dark.

Gina80 Sat 09-Aug-08 13:02:58

Arrgghhh - too many typo's! sorry

GillianLovesMarmite Sat 09-Aug-08 13:07:20

Hi Freakypenguin - I think I saw you on a post about names too - where you were saying about Gillian being the name of goddesses or similar?!
It's true about the dark/own thing and confidence. We have a nightlight and the cot is right by my bed. I think the issue is that most of my friends who have been long term breastfeeders have all co-slept. We don't fancy co-sleeping mainly as we like our space and enjoy the odd glass of wine - both of which we'd lose if sharing with ds!

GillianLovesMarmite Sat 09-Aug-08 13:11:58

DH is currently in the garage adjusting a cot so that the drop side drops right down - as i've been having problems lifting ds over the side of the cot to get him for a feed - and even more problems putting him back without waking him up. We just bought it from mothercare so he could chop it up a bit as the nice cot we currently have is on loan from a friend, but I thought it was odd that the easiest drop side ones aren;t designed for use when you're in bed but to put the child in from a standing position...
Also (rant) the woman was quite unsympathetic (this should be on the thread about advice and your children) and suggested that I should get up to feed him in the night as it still wouldn't be good for my back (she'd done this when breastfeeding her children who had all slept through from 12 weeks anyway!...).
Anyway - with an ajustable side the cot will be more like co-sleeping in terms of ease of picking him up but ds will have his own space as I can then put the side up once he's down.
It's good to come and get some help that doesn't involve the words 'night time milk' or feeding him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now