Talk

Advanced search

A couple of bf questions re 5 week old ds2

(8 Posts)
Minkus Fri 08-Aug-08 13:24:38

He's being exclusively bf and bless him he's doing great!

I've been expressing for a week as I'd like the option of being able to give him a bottle of ebm at some point in the future and now have a small stock in the freezer. However it is soooo difficult to fit it into EVERY day that what I'm hoping to do is express approx 3 days per week and give him that milk in a bottle later in the day. Then if I know that I need to leave him a bottle of it (eg my hair is woefully past needing a cut and I really need to go to the hairdresser before my mop is mistaken for just that) I can fit in a couple of additional pumping sessions in advance.

My first question is this, what constitutes a "feed" at this stage? This morning I expressed 6oz in a short space of time but I can't believe that a 11 or 12 lb ish 5 week old would drink that much in one feed! And especially as i've read that babies can get out more than a pump can.

I've seen the formula that says he needs 2.5oz per lb of his bodyweight in a 24 hour period, = 28-30 ish oz. As he's still feeding every 2 hours 24/7 (2.5 if I'm lucky, 1.5 if I'm not- yawn!) that's 12 feeds in a day and therefore approx 2.5 oz per feed.

So now I'm confused, I don't want to put all that effort into expressing vast quantities of milk that just isn't needed (but at the same time I'd want to express a bit more than required just in case, just not double the amount!). Do you think it is conceivable that he actually drinks that much? It seems unlikely to me given the apparent walnut-ish size of babies tums at birth but wanted to check with the all-knowing mumsnetters, you've always been able to answer my questions before grin.

Second, do you think that giving him a bottle of ebm just 3 times a week is enough to keep him used to it? With ds1, we made the mistake of not giving it to him often enough and when we really needed him to have a bottle, he point blank refused the teat he'd been happy with a few weeks before (thankfully by that stage he was on solids and so my mum put it on his weetabix/mixed it into other foods etc and gave other fluids).

Babies are great for people with analytical male type brains, there's a lot to ponder (sadly for me with a entirely female type brain I'm just not good at working stuff out like this, plus I'm unable to do sudoku)

StormInanEcup Fri 08-Aug-08 15:06:28

Message withdrawn

Minkus Fri 08-Aug-08 20:23:54

Thanks storm, how old is your son?

I've been expressing into the avent cups but guess that freezing in smaller portions would make more sense.

Does anyone know if 3 bottles a week is frequent enough to keep him familiar enough with them to take?

moondog Fri 08-Aug-08 20:27:22

Mine would have about 4-6 0x of EBM too for this time. I think three bottles a week would be good.

moondog Fri 08-Aug-08 20:28:17

Start on bottles now or he may reject. Best time to express is morning. Feed off one boob and express off other.

chipmonkey Fri 08-Aug-08 21:33:32

ds4 is 15lb and drinks 6oz in a bottle. He has a bottle every other day. Not sure about the rejecting thing. Ds1 and ds2 hardly ever had a bottle and they took to them no problem. Ds3 was given a bottle before he was ever put to the breast ( he was in SCBU) and was given a bottle regularly after that but still started to reject them at 5 months ( 3 months corrected)

StormInanEcup Sat 09-Aug-08 16:31:00

Message withdrawn

chipmonkey Sat 09-Aug-08 20:44:17

Actually, ds3 refused to drink out of anything with a teat, spout or lid for quite a while! He would drink from an open cup but it really wasn't always practical.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now