Talk

Advanced search

Weaning baby from bf onto bottle

(6 Posts)
beezneez Fri 08-Aug-08 10:11:06

DD (10 months) is still breastfed at the moment but I go back to work at the end of September so need to get her drinking milk from a bottle (which she's never done).

She has water from a free-flow Tommee Tippee cup but I assume they're not really big enough for a full milk feed. Is there a larger (but still free-flow) version I could use or would you stick to the small cup so she can feed herself? I'd like to bypass normal teats altogether if I can as it seems pointless introducing them now only to have to wean her off them again in future...

She'll be 12 months when she starts nursery but she's allergic to cows' milk so will need to be on special formula until the age of 2. thanks!

ajm200 Fri 08-Aug-08 10:16:16

Our little one wouldn't drink from Tommee Tippee cups so we use Avent.

The Avent sportster is as big as a large bottle although it has a valve, it is really easy to remove as it's just a circle of rubber on a peg.

fishie Fri 08-Aug-08 10:17:35

at 10 months she could probably go all day without a feed anyway if you carry on morning and evening.

beezneez Fri 08-Aug-08 10:23:36

maybe I'll try the Avent sportster... When you remove the valve, does the liquid pour out fast or are the holes fairly small?

Fishie, I don't think she could go all day at the moment but she'll be 12 months by the time she starts nursery so maybe you're right she won't need any milk during the day, which would make things easier... To be honest though I think I'd like to wean her off bf anyway - I think a year feels about the right time for me personally and it will be great getting a bit of freedom back!

ajm200 Fri 08-Aug-08 10:33:53

The spout is one big hole so it does pour out fairly fast so that might be a problem I guess

fishie Fri 08-Aug-08 12:01:08

she'll be fine then. i went back at 13m and ds never had anything during day, is v nice and snuggly to feed when get home from work.

do you have to bother with formula at all? i see she can't have cows milk, but can't she get calcium from other sources? i'd carry on feeding personally, much easier all round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now