Talk

Advanced search

Help! Anyone had Colic start at 10 weeks?

(18 Posts)
BigBadMousey Thu 07-Aug-08 20:08:43

My placid little DS has suddenly developed colic at the age of 10 weeks. We've considered reflux etc etc but it really does look like he has just suddenly become colicky. He is otherwise well and putting on weight.

Can't find any references to colic starting up this late so I'm hoping someone can tell me this has happened to their DC too (please also tell me that it stopped at 12 weeks despite starting up late or I shall start crying uncontrollably too grin)

TIA

Dawnie6577 Thu 07-Aug-08 20:48:49

Does seem a bit odd starting then?
Our DS had both reflux and colic, but the cranial osteopath we saw said that they are both so closely related (i.e. gut), that it is sometimes more helpful to think of them as one of the same really.
On what basis are you disregarding reflux? It might be worth seeing a cranial osteopath for one session?
But whichever it is, I hope it doesn't last long. My sympathies go out to you as both are horrible and no-one can truly understand what it is like unless you've had a baby with it. But it does get better - my DS is now 9 months and so happy and giggly. Just think that it is only temporary, no lasting problems.
Good luck.

BigBadMousey Thu 07-Aug-08 21:03:24

Thanks. I went through it with DDs1 and 2 but stupidly thought we had got away with it this time. He has seen the doc and HVs and they all say colic but admit it is late for it to start.

How do you go about finding a cranial osteopath? Is it expensive to see one?

YoungYolandaYorgensen Thu 07-Aug-08 21:08:57

BBM, are you bf or ff?

RambleOn Thu 07-Aug-08 21:16:59

My DDs colic started about 10wks iirc.

Sorry, but it lasted until she was about 4/5 months.

But after that she became the smiliest, happiest, EASIEST baby, and still is at 22mogrin

RambleOn Thu 07-Aug-08 21:22:58

Have you tried reducing stimulation. This was the only thing that had any effect for me, and only improved it, didn't stop it.

I used to tell everyone that if they called at the house after 4pm, they wouldn't be let in! Telly off, curtains closed and black-out lining fitted.

I think that whatever was causing it, visitors, being passed around, noise, faffing with infacol, etc, was just making the problem worse.

BigBadMousey Thu 07-Aug-08 21:34:14

YYY - BF

Rambleon -he does hate the noise his sisters make. If I could get them to calm down, I'm sure it would help but they are 2 and 4 and don't nderstand . atm he just wants to be carried around in the conservatory - he loves it in there but he screams if I sit down with him!

4/5 months?? That's my marriage over then!

BigBadMousey Thu 07-Aug-08 21:36:00

Think i'll try a dummy tomorrow. I don't like them at all but if it makes him happier.....

Doubt it will work but it's worth a try I think.

YoungYolandaYorgensen Thu 07-Aug-08 21:43:11

Has anything changed in your own diet?

BigBadMousey Thu 07-Aug-08 21:44:48

no, not at all. HV asked that one. I have cut out caffiene since yesterday to see if that helps <suffering>

Mine Thu 07-Aug-08 21:55:32

hi there
our CO worked wonders on our VERY colicy baby.
Here's a website were you can tap in your postcode and find the closes Co in your area.....

http://www.cranial.org.uk/find.php

(sorry, i don;t know how to create direct links!)

Good luck.

BigBadMousey Thu 07-Aug-08 22:10:30

Thanks very much MINE - seems there is one about 50 miles away which isn't bad at all. I will have a better look at that page tomorrow. Is it an expensive therapy?

Mine Thu 07-Aug-08 22:24:42

You can also ask your HV to recommend a CO too. Thats how we came to see ours.
50 miles...... thats a pretty long way to go!!! But needs must.

They can be expensive, but for us it was worth very penny.
You only have to pay per session so its not a missive outlay.

Ours cost £21 per session before he was 12 weeks old, then £30 per session once he was over 12 weeks old.

We had 6 sessions in all, but i noticed a definite improvement straight away, so we could have left it at 3 tbh.

My heart goes out to you... a colicy baby can literally break you. But it will pass i promise you.

YoungYolandaYorgensen Fri 08-Aug-08 01:29:49

My first 3 babies were colicky and I found colief very good. You're supposed to mix it with EBM but I just put a couple of drops on each nipple.

Mine Fri 08-Aug-08 07:49:49

Infacol was good too but i found it took a little while to really have a good effect. You have to be really consistent with winding them too in order for it to give good relief.
We used to have to wind ds half way through his bottle to get it all out IYKWIM.

BigBadMousey Fri 08-Aug-08 10:20:40

Thanks.

We are a bit out in the sticks so 50 miles isn't that bad.

I started infacol yesterday but will stick with it for a week to see how it goes. I tried colief with DD2 and every time she had it it made her sick. Can't see why but as soon as we stopped it she was sick less often hmm - as a result I'm quite reluctant to try it with DS (although by next week my opinion may have changed.

£21 sounds worth every penny. He was a very placid, happy little chap before this. He had only ever cried once before this all started - I think that is why I'm making such a fuss about it all, it is such a sudden and severe change.

Dawnie6577 Fri 08-Aug-08 10:50:42

Hi, my CO was fab. He was able to see where the tension was in DSs body and DS did improve over the course of 6 sessions.

We paid £35 for each session (in Southampton), but I found it helped and it also gave me a sense of doing something (bit silly, but hey).

Sounds silly, but DS laid differently (his legs were more relaxed, rather than scrunched up) and he slept so well the night of each treatment.

Might be worth a try even if just to get their advice at the very least.

I got one recommended, I'd ask other Mums in area/HV. You could always ask for a reference first?

redfea1 Tue 19-Aug-08 09:58:23

HI Dawnie6577, I live in Southampton and am looking for a CO - could you recommend the one that you saw? Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now