15 Months - how much milk?

(37 Posts)
Mikafan Thu 07-Aug-08 08:38:26

My DD is 15 months and at present has 4 bottles a day, they are as follows
06.30 - 5 fl oz
10.00 - 4 fl oz
3.00 - 4 fl oz
6.30 - 5 fl oz

Can anyone tell me if this sounds right? I suspect she may now be getting a bit too much and maybe need to cut down on the 10am and 3pm bottles. She has 2 small yoghurts after her lunch aswell.

Thanks.

twofalls Thu 07-Aug-08 08:42:27

I don't think it sounds excessive but then I have a 2.3 year old milk monster who still has 7oz morning and night and would have more if she could get away with it.

I think we cut out the morning bottle at this age and gave her a snack instead.

Does she eat quite well?

TillyScoutsmum Thu 07-Aug-08 08:48:59

DD is 15 months and only has 2 bottles (after lunch and before bed) but they are 7 oz and 9 oz so the amounts are pretty similar to yours. She also has a cup of milk before breakfast but she still hasn't got the hang of it and probably only has 1 oz

ajm200 Thu 07-Aug-08 08:52:18

My LO has a pint a day split between breakfast and his nighttime bottle. He also has yoghurt and cheese every day.

We gradually replaced milk at snack time with water and fruit at about a year as he was losing interest in solids

PuppyMonkey Thu 07-Aug-08 08:55:25

My 16 month old only has 2 bottles - one at breakfast, one at bedtime. I don't know how much she has because I never think to measure it out any more. She eats more than her big sister (aged 11) so I am not concerned about her not getting enough vits etc... smile

LittleMissNorty Thu 07-Aug-08 08:58:50

My LO at 14 months has a 6oz cup of milk before weetabix (so has more with that) and then 6oz milk in a bottle at bedtime. Drinks during the day are either water or very weak squash.

Mikafan Thu 07-Aug-08 09:02:23

My DD still has bottles which is why I know how much she gets. Forgot she also has milk in her weetabix/ready brek. She eats VERY well just like her mum
So now I'm still confused, it seems to be split 50/50 on given a mid morning/mid afternoon bottle. She also drinks water during the day.

lazyemma Thu 07-Aug-08 12:37:17

My daughter is 15 months old and she has two bottles, one just after her breakfast and one just before bed, of about 7 oz each. The rest of the time she has fresh orange diluted with water out of a cup, or just water.

Personally I wouldn't be bothering with the 10am and 3pm feeds, but that's just me. Is there a particular reason you're continuing with them? If you're finding she still eats plenty of solid food then there's no harm in her still having those feeds, but I'm just thinking it's extra faff you don't really need.

Pinkjenny Thu 07-Aug-08 12:41:30

My 14.5mo dd has never been particularly fond of milk, cow's or formula, and has two bottles a day, one when she wakes up, and one before bed, she probably only has about 4oz in each.

We make sure she has lots of yoghurt and cheese instead. And she drinks loads of water, so we've never been concerned.

flowerybeanbag Thu 07-Aug-08 12:43:58

DS is 15mo and has a bottle when he wakes up and again before he goes to bed. About 5 or 6 oz in each, although sometimes he wants a bit more.

He drinks water with all his meals and snacks, he's never had juice, didn't see the point as he has loads of fresh veg and fruit. He also has lots of yoghurt and cheese.

SazzlesA Thu 07-Aug-08 12:44:42

Message withdrawn

flowerybeanbag Thu 07-Aug-08 12:45:32

grin at 'bubble juice'!

SazzlesA Thu 07-Aug-08 12:47:45

Message withdrawn

Pinkjenny Thu 07-Aug-08 12:51:23

'Bubble' juice! Sometimes we buy dd bottled Evian with a sports cap (mainly because it keeps her amused on long boring shopping trips), and she loves her 'big girl's water'.

Aw, they're so cute, aren't they?

Mikafan Thu 07-Aug-08 14:03:39

Thanks everyone, I will definately drop the 2 bottles. Just out of interest, what do you all give your babes as a snack in am/pm? We tend to give fruit quite alot but want to give her something else.

Love the buttle juice

Pinkjenny Thu 07-Aug-08 14:05:33

Dd sometimes has a bit of bread with cheese spread on, or some raisins, or sometimes <<whispers>> a cake...

What can I say? She's a girl after my own heart.

flowerybeanbag Thu 07-Aug-08 14:12:09

DS loves raisins, he'd eat them all day I think. So at least once a day he has them for a snack. Sometimes fruit, or sometimes a biscuit, those Organix ones, or rice cakes he loves as well.

AlexanderPandasmum Thu 07-Aug-08 14:21:33

I also give snack cheese - mostly babybel, but sometimes an assortment which has edam, cheddar and emmental as well. Or an Organix snack (they do those cereal bars and animal biscuits and gingerbread men).

DS (17 months) has his cereal with the milk drained off after soaking (less messy when he feeds himself!) and a 7oz beaker of milk on the side. He also has a beaker of milk with his bedtime story book time. During the day he has yoghurt, cheese, rice pudding etc so I think it is enough.

Pinkjenny Thu 07-Aug-08 14:25:27

Just me with the cake then, blush she doesn't have them often, honest.

See pic of her eating a mahoosive ice cream on holiday on my profile. grin

SazzlesA Thu 07-Aug-08 14:30:08

Message withdrawn

SazzlesA Thu 07-Aug-08 14:31:58

Message withdrawn

flowerybeanbag Thu 07-Aug-08 14:33:41

PJ she's v cute and you are v pretty!

We don't really have cake in the house much, I'm not much of a cake person, but if we do DS has a bit. He won't touch ice cream though. We have a van that parks outside our house most days in the summer as we are next to the river, but he's not interested when we have one, and refused ice cream and jelly on his birthday. Strange child!

LittleMissNorty Thu 07-Aug-08 14:34:05

I let DD have a cake now and then.....and she LOVES a jaffa cake....a little bit doesn't do them any harm.

AlexanderPandasmum Thu 07-Aug-08 14:36:01

Pinkjenny, to make you feel better, I am going to admit to the fact that I also sometimes gave DS pieces of my cake in the past (when we're out and go somewhere like costa with a friend, or to the bakery). It's always very nice cake. I don't anymore but it is more about me being on a diet and not wanting to buy anything that may tempt me!

PS. He won't touch anything cold so ice cream is safe from him!

Pinkjenny Thu 07-Aug-08 14:36:50

Aw thanks Flowery, she is very cute, but you need your contacts in, clearly!

What a little health nut your ds is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now