Talk

Advanced search

Caffeine and breastfeeding

(7 Posts)
wastingmyeducation Wed 06-Aug-08 13:09:28

Hello all,

So four and a half weeks ago, when DS was 8 weeks old, I gave up caffeine and we noticed that he seemed to calm down, although I'm aware that for most babies this doesn't affect them. He's still not a big fan of sleep though. I've no problem adjusting my diet for the LO, but would love a coffee! blush
I've read that with eliminated dietary things like dairy that it can be reintroduced later on, so when can I put the coffee pot on?

xx

Bluebutterfly Wed 06-Aug-08 13:13:07

How much caffeine had you been drinking?

I used to make a cup of half and half - half regular, half decaf coffee to get me through the day when bfing. Doing the same now as I am ttc #2 and have cut down my caffeine level. (Am a 2-3 cup a day person normally!)

Or you could just make decaf?

I doubt that one cup a day could have too major an impact though... but what do I know?

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 06-Aug-08 13:13:50

Hmm well I am not bf any more but due to various things I haven't had a coffee for over 3 weeks. I only drank weak gold blend type stuff but lots of it.
Within a week I noticed I was sleeping better, skin better, (tmi) bowels behaving better.
So I won't be going back to it.

Now I just have a coffee if out somewhere, once or twice a week. I keep it as a treat not something to guzzle all morning.

Bluebutterfly Wed 06-Aug-08 13:22:30

Oh flibberty - I wish I had your will power. Can't seem to completely wean myself off of the black stuff! wink

wastingmyeducation Wed 06-Aug-08 13:29:44

I cut down to the recommended max while pregnant, which is about three cups of coffee, and stayed with that for breastfeeding. Before pregnant I pretty much drank coffee as my main occupation.
I only want one or two cups in the morning and will stay off the Pepsi Max for good, but don't want to upset the little man!

xx

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 06-Aug-08 14:26:13

Not much willpower - I ran out of coffee and can't stand nescafe strong stuff. I only like the milder stuff and buy it from Aldi.
Which on the day I ran out meant a trip in the car with 2 and 3 yo dcs to aldi just for coffee. I couldn't face it so drank tea that day. Next day was at home with kids too (thurs fri) so drank tea and water. By Sat I thought, hmm if I don't buy it I can't drink it and by then the worst of the coffee withdrawal headahces and rattiness had gone.

wastingmyeducation Thu 07-Aug-08 14:58:59

Well, I guess I've got an answer of sorts.
Last night DH bought me a bottle of Pepsi Max out of habit, so I thought I'll give it a go. No problems with his sleep or behaviour after that, but he did a slimy poo, only twelve hours after a good healthy one. He's been pooping no more than once a day for the last month.
I suspect the laxative effect of the caffeine was affecting his weight gain before as well, as he's been gaining normally since I gave up the caffeine too.
So I'll be sticking to the Tick Tock tea for now.

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now