Talk

Advanced search

Returning to work and want to reduce breast feeds

(7 Posts)
cheekychopsmum Wed 06-Aug-08 09:59:20

I will be returning to work in october and would like my 9 month old baby to have formula feeds in the day and I'll breast feed morning and evening. My partner tried to give bottle of sma and baby screamed and wouldn't take any, so I gave up and gave breast. I know I will have to be firm, but wondered if there are any tips to make it as easy as possible. I currently give breast feed at 7am, then breakfast cereal & fruit at 10.30 with small breast feed after. Lunch at 1.30 with water in cup (only has tiny amount of water), tea at 5.30 followed by breast feed then last breast feed at 8.15. Does this sound ok, really not sure if I am doing it right.
I have never been sucessful at expressing and feel it is too late to start now. Please advise as I need to start new routine soon.

Orangutan Wed 06-Aug-08 11:27:22

Hiya,
At 9 months she should be dropping her 10.30am milk feed altogether. Perhaps give her more cereal & fruit and also a bigger lunch?

moondog Wed 06-Aug-08 11:30:34

She doesn't need formula at all in the day. Can you just carry on b/feeding am and pm? I did.

katiepotatie Wed 06-Aug-08 11:34:51

I just dropped all daytime ones, just gave more breakfast and lunch and offered water. at this age morning and night feeds only are okay. smile

cheekychopsmum Thu 07-Aug-08 09:44:53

But hardly drinks any water... any recomendations for drinking cups. Using tommy tippee one at mo with non spill spout and he barely gets any out. Have tried doddi cup but gets most water down him!

Orangutan Thu 07-Aug-08 11:19:21

I used Tommee Tippee First cup with a flip-up spout for my DS, he got most of ot down him in the beginning but soon got the hang of it then moved on to the non-spill spout one. Try mixing 1 part juice to 5 parts water.

witchandchips Thu 07-Aug-08 11:30:10

practice with the cup between now and october, the best i found are either the doidy cup or the basic flip top (not no spill ones).
see boots' version

my guess is that she will have all but dropped the 10.30 feed by then anyway, but i am sure she will be happy to miss it when you are at work, don't worry she will be fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now