Talk

Advanced search

Storing different batches of breastmilk gathered throughout the day

(9 Posts)
Essie3 Tue 05-Aug-08 15:34:59

Sorry, that sounds totally bizarre. In fact, it makes me sound like a breastmilk fairy who gathers it from under toadstools grin.

So let me explain..

I express in the morning + freeze it in a bag. But I also collect leaking milk from my udder breasts in shells. In the shells, I don't get a load - 40ml max - and it's a bit of a waste of a bag to freeze such small amounts.

So, can I put my 40mls in a bottle in the fridge, then add the next 40mls etc to get a decent amount through the day, and then freeze it?
I've heard something about mixing chilled milk and body temp milk. Something like...don't do it!

WilfSell Tue 05-Aug-08 15:36:07

Yes but chill the small bits too before you mix together! Bingo...

Essie3 Tue 05-Aug-08 15:38:11

Ok, so for a stupid person (me)...
I get my 40ml, put it in a bottle to chill.
Next 40ml in a different bottle?
Then mix.

Sounds like a recipe! grin

DisplacementActivity Tue 05-Aug-08 15:41:46

Message withdrawn

walkingwomb Tue 05-Aug-08 21:54:41

Why do you have to chill before adding together? I have just realised i may be doing it wrong, as i express during hte day adn then just chuck it into the bottle in teh fridge. My DD has had very runny poos for about 10 days, could it be cause of this?

stressed!

glamourbadger Tue 05-Aug-08 22:03:22

I expressed for months when my twins were in special care. The hospital advised you store each express in a separate bottle/bag no matter how small. If you have chilled milk then add fresh stuff it raises the temperature of the chilled milk. Just think of it the same as food - like reheating leftovers more than once.

DisplacementActivity Tue 05-Aug-08 22:50:14

Message withdrawn

Essie3 Wed 06-Aug-08 12:34:28

Walkingwomb - don't know how old your DD is (actually probably doesn't matter if she's exclusively bf!), but my DS is 7 weeks and his poos are liquid. Always have been!

walkingwomb Wed 06-Aug-08 13:49:59

I have started doing what you said displacement - thanks for your help!

Essie - DD is 12 weeks and is exclusively BF. She use to poo about once every couple of days, but now every nappy is dirty and I am changing her twice in the night (a real pisser). I had come to the conclusions that this is now the 'norm' as it has been going on for about 2 weeks now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now