Advanced search

Hyperthroidism (sp?) and bf

(6 Posts)
KelaH Tue 05-Aug-08 13:29:44

Been to the docs today as I have been shaking and losing loads of weight, and she sent me for a blood test to check for an underactive thyroid. She knew I am bfing, and made a throwaway comment that if it is this, and I start treatment, that I would have to stop bfing - is this right? Am really as I would assume this would cause problems bfing in future. Anyone know anything about this?

llareggub Tue 05-Aug-08 13:31:49

Maybe she meant that the medication might not be suitable if breastfeeding? Might be worth double-checking.

KelaH Tue 05-Aug-08 13:36:52

Yes, I think that is what she meant, and if so, it would be meds that I would have to take long term, hence affecting bfing future children. Is making me quite sad, although I haven't even been diagnosed yet, so might be worrying about nothing.

Any idea how I could find out about this without knowing what the medication would be?

princesslina Tue 05-Aug-08 13:58:42

Would think it is over active thyroid not underactive, not sure what the meds are for this you could look on nhs direct, also you could look on who gives lots of advice on meds and breastfeeding, he wnats to keep people bf as long as possible, he will also email you personally.

lazyemma Tue 05-Aug-08 13:59:33

It sounds more likely from your symptoms that your thyroid could be overactive, not underactive. (overactive = hyperthyroidism, underactive = hypothyroidism)

Carbimazole is the most commonly used medication to treat an overactive thyroid gland, though they sometimes suggest a betablocker such as propranolol too, which will calm the shakes and any anxiety you're experiencing, as well as a racing heartbeat/palpitations, if you're getting those. The reason for this is that Carbimazole can take up to a month or so to start having an effect on the amount of circulating thyroid hormone (thyroxine) in your body, as you have to use up all the thyroxine that's already there before it starts to decrease significantly.

If Carbimazole isn't safe when breastfeeding (I really don't know this, as I bottle-fed) there's another drug called PTU which they can try.

Good luck with whatever the diagnosis is.

KelaH Tue 05-Aug-08 16:36:34

Yeah, sorry, couldn't remember if she said under or over (English not her first language, very heavy accent).

Thanks for the advice, will check out the Dr Jack Newman site, and investigate those drugs. I'm probably worrying about nothing though, will wait for the blood test results.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now