Talk

Advanced search

mother abused in mcdonalds for bf, now being abused in the local rag website.

(25 Posts)
IAMJIGSAW Mon 04-Aug-08 23:00:42

poorlove

wellingborough northampton, really is a place for the backwards eh!

well done for mc donald though.

IAMJIGSAW Mon 04-Aug-08 23:04:01

angry

Skramble Mon 04-Aug-08 23:07:05

how is the local rage abusing her, did i miss that bit. Nice t o see the staff stuck up for her.

PussinJimmyChoos Mon 04-Aug-08 23:08:23

I see a lot of the comments have been deleted under the article as well. How disgusting that she was treated like this!

Makes me laugh that you see a number of people in McDs with skin tight clothes and tits practically falling out or jeans hanging under the arse (wtf with this fashion trend!) but God forbid a woman has the cheek to feed her child!!

angry

edam Mon 04-Aug-08 23:09:36

I guess all those comments at the bottom of the story that have been removed were probably not very constructive... will be crossing Wellingborough off my 'places to move to' list then!

But yes, well done MacDonald's Wellingborough.

IAMJIGSAW Mon 04-Aug-08 23:12:38

the comments in the local rag

BadHair Mon 04-Aug-08 23:35:47

Similar thing happened to me when ds2 was a baby, about 5 years ago. McDonalds were not supportive on that occasion - staff all looked the other way and pretended not to hear.

IAMJIGSAW Tue 05-Aug-08 09:09:49

sorry to hear that badhair, that must of been a horrible experience

ScottishMummy Tue 05-Aug-08 09:14:40

suspect not BF specific the teens were neds bellyaching making vaccuous statements.

PITA though

IAMJIGSAW Tue 05-Aug-08 09:29:22

well they where telling her to do that in the toilet.
sad

IAMJIGSAW Wed 06-Aug-08 15:12:25

i would of thought more mums on here would be upset by this sad

ChairmumMiaow Wed 06-Aug-08 18:50:58

Its appauling, but not unexpected. That's why I'm actively working to try to get the law changed so that the police can be called on people like that. (I organised the Birmingham version of the breastfeeding picnic)

IAMJIGSAW Wed 06-Aug-08 20:30:52

cmm, i'm glad your bothered too, im suprised at the lack of response this has caused on here.

do you have any idea when the law will be changed?

welldone for your hardwork good to know people like you are doing something to help us mums and babies

missjennipenni Wed 06-Aug-08 20:33:08

Its already against the law up here in Scotland, thankfully!

IAMJIGSAW Wed 06-Aug-08 20:35:11

i know i admire you scots.

nickytwotimes Wed 06-Aug-08 20:36:05

What a horrible experience for the woman.

mummyplonk Wed 06-Aug-08 20:46:46

hmmm Mcdonalds not getting any votes from me, my friend and her (then undiagnosed auistic) son and my clan where told in no uncertain terms that if she didnt stop her baby crying (approx 18 mo) she would have to leave the restaurant as instructed by the manager as it was making people feel uncomfortable. Looking back now I wish I was strong enough to have stood up for up for her but we up-and-left our food.

OrmIrian Wed 06-Aug-08 20:51:53

When DS#2 was tiny we went to Maccie D's after the cinema. Because I was only just getting used to it all again and felt that it might be the sort of place where bfing would..erm.. cause comment, I asked the manager if it was OK. She couldn't have been nicer, was delighted that I was bfing and told me it was fine. Also kept an eagle eye on us to ensure no-one made any comments. No-one did.

ScottishMummy Wed 06-Aug-08 21:23:39

but the McD's manager was supportive of BF lady.not their fault the neds go ga-ga at sight of a boobie

theSuburbanDryad Wed 06-Aug-08 21:29:47

I think - unfortunately - people are bored of stories like this. Something similar happened in Bournemouth last month, and it happens again and again and again.

If you'd like to help - as me and ChairmumMiaow (saw your thread about your dog, i'm really sorry sad) are - then have a look here and get in touch with your MP about introducing a law here as they have in Scotland.

I've a feeling we're organising something fun for October time, watch this space, or drop me a CAT to be put on the mailing list.

theSuburbanDryad Wed 06-Aug-08 21:32:15

Have to agree with SM as well (as usual blush)

Wellingborough/Northampton are well known for their horrible gangs of yoovs and they are one of the reasons I moved away from the area. I had some horrible abuse in one of the parks in Northampton when ds was 10 days old and I've also been spat at for bf-ing a slightly older - think he was 4 months or so - ds in a shopping centre.

Where I live now I bf ds on the high street and get nothing but lovely smiles and hellos from the old dears I know from work! Tis fab! smile

PInkyminkyohnooo Wed 06-Aug-08 21:40:35

I do think it's awful. The kids are showing their ignorance and it is a real shame. But it was a good thing that the staff supported her.

I have only ever had one such comment (except fro my mothergrin) and that was from an elderly lady when I was in a bistro.

Having been bullied a lot by my peers in my teens this kind of thing does not suprise me, and I am inclined to agree with Scottishmummy's post.

33k Wed 06-Aug-08 21:42:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OurHamsterisevil Wed 06-Aug-08 21:44:25

THat is very sad
I'm so pleased that bf in public places is protected by law in Scotland. Its about time it happened in England too, it would help a little in these situations

itsMYmummy Wed 06-Aug-08 21:49:10

Its disgusting that she was abused for doing whats natural and healthy for her baby.

For what its worth I live in Wellingborough as do other MN'ers and I breastfed both dc's in public, and I've never been subjected to any form of abuse.

By the way IAMJIGSAW I'm far from backwardswink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now