Talk

Advanced search

DS (3mths) is sick after every BF - Anyone had any experience with eliminating certain foods from their diet???

(31 Posts)
RedHead81 Mon 04-Aug-08 22:23:22

DS2 has always posseted a bit of milk after each feed, but he's 3mths now and its getting worse. Every feed he is sick afterwards and its quite a lot too - enough to warrant us both to need a change of clothing!

I did read somewhere on here where someone eliminated dairy from their diet (but can't find the thread) Does anyone have any experience with eliminating certain foods and does it work???

DS1 was never sick after his feeds so I'm kind of needing a bit of advice???

RedHead81 Mon 04-Aug-08 22:33:28

Anyone?

snorris Mon 04-Aug-08 22:51:12

I haven't personally but I know of someone who has- I'll direct them over here .

RedHead81 Mon 04-Aug-08 22:55:12

oh thanx snorris - much appreciated
x

serenedays Mon 04-Aug-08 22:58:32

Hi. Poor him and poor you. Is his weight gain ok? Have you looked up/asked about infant reflux? The dairy thing is to check if the baby's allergic to cow's milk protein. I gave up dairy for eight miserable days (I'm veggie) - it didn't help with DS2's reflux, but infant Gaviscon did. I think the reflux advice would help in any case: feed a little and often, keep upright after feeds, prop one end of the cot/nappy mat Apparently those Yakult (sp?) yoghurty drinks help with cow's milk protein intolerances - for you, not him! I still swig one a day in case.

trixymalixy Mon 04-Aug-08 23:07:01

Hi, My DS is allergic to a lot of things including dairy and eggs. Once i had eliminated both of those from my diet DS stopped being sick and screaming when feeding.

What kind of advice do you need?

RedHead81 Mon 04-Aug-08 23:43:16

Well, any advice really! What (apart from the obvious) counts as dairy - think I will give it a try for a week to see if it helps.

His weight gain is very good - gone from 8lb 6oz at birth, to 14lb 15oz last wednesday - so he's a little fatty! lol Just unfortunately is sick after every feed.

I will google infant reflux now to see what they suggest.

Has anyone had any other foods that didn't agree with their baby?

thumbwitch Mon 04-Aug-08 23:45:22

Have you seen your HV/GP about this? It might be wise.

RedHead81 Mon 04-Aug-08 23:57:30

No, not yet, it's got worse this week and he's going for his 2nd set of jabs tomorrow so i will ask about it there too - but was just wondering if anyone had had any experiences of it.

RedHead81 Tue 05-Aug-08 00:00:27

if it is cows milk in my diet that is causing it, will he always be sensitive to cows milk?

frumpygrumpyhasPMT Tue 05-Aug-08 00:02:18

Oh ditto snorris! grin Momma from the multiples daily thread is the woman you need. She is expert on this! I see snorris has left a note. Don't give up, Momma will see you good.

frumpygrumpyhasPMT Tue 05-Aug-08 00:04:34

I think Momma said that often you can reintroduce things at a later date (I can't remember, but I think she said 18months???). She had big success getting through this, one of her twins is sensitive.

RedHead81 Tue 05-Aug-08 00:07:49

oh its so nice to be looked after!
thanx frumpygrumpy!

thumbwitch, just read your profile - i like bon jovi too - missed the tour this year tho, because my little boob monster was only about 3wks old i think!
x

thumbwitch Tue 05-Aug-08 00:09:53

haven't seen BJ for a while, sadly - but love them live! Have a friend who goes every time they tour, at least once, if not more (she is a rep and travels the country so it's not so hard for her to go to different venues)
end of hijack grin

pinkbubble Tue 05-Aug-08 00:11:54

I had a terrible time in feeding DD2, everytime I fed her she threw up, big time. It took for few to fed her approx 8 mins then wind her, then feed her again and she seemed to feed ok!

Funny enough, this DD (out of 3 DDs) was the only one that had to have an appointment with a nutritionalist as when she ate dairy products her poor tummy etc couldn't cope with it. She did out grow her intolerance by the the age of 4 - THANKGOODNESS

RedHead81 Tue 05-Aug-08 00:13:43

i look forward to speaking with Momma!
DS1 sometimes used to posset a little after some feeds, but DS2 is sick after every feed - sometimes only a little - but most times a lot. - I do drink quite a lot of milk too and have it with cereals every day, so will maybe need advice on what alternatives there are for me (milks, yogurts, etc and where do i get them?)

frumpygrumpyhasPMT Tue 05-Aug-08 00:13:58

Pleasure grin Momma is wonderful and she will see you good. I think she might even be certified as a grand high witch BF counsellor now.

(Momma, I'M KIDDING ABOUT THE GRANDY WITCHY BIT, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU) <<fg throws kisses and legs it>>

RedHead81 Tue 05-Aug-08 00:21:44

i'm a BF support peer but have never come across anyone who has had this problem and none with any experience - hmm, I should have thought about getting out my book from upstairs blush but MNers seem to have more experience than what joe bloggs has written in a book - maybe i'll get it out now and have a quick look...

AbricotsSecs Tue 05-Aug-08 01:20:11

Message withdrawn

AbricotsSecs Tue 05-Aug-08 01:34:32

Message withdrawn

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 05-Aug-08 08:17:22

I seem to be following Hoochie around posting on this subject!

Are there any other symptoms RedHead? Lots of screaming or crying, irritability, very frequent pooing, nappy rash, eczema or other skin problems? These can all be signs of milk intolerance.

If it's just the vomiting then I'd be more inclined to think reflux and try some infant gaviscon, but if you're happy to try giving up dairy then that would be great. I managed to give it up until dd was about 20 months, when she started to outgrow her intolerance.

Use rice or oat milk where you really need milk, and get Pure sunflower spread as a butter substitute (doesn't contain soya either, but if you can't get it then vitalite is also dairy free).
Have just read hoochie's second post and realised that she's told you this already - ah well! She forgot to mention that Green and Black's dark chocolate and mayan gold is dairy free though wink.

As hoochie says, it needs to be a couple of weeks to be sure your systems are clear.

Best of luck.

RedHead81 Tue 05-Aug-08 11:08:42

Every now and then he does scream uncontrollably and if we didn't use sudocrem at nappy changes he would have nappy rash. His skin is good though and he only poos once a day (quite a super poo though!) Otherwise he's a very happy contented little chap.

So if I'm not having milk and yogurts etc... where do i get my calcium from?

Oh and thanks for the bourbon biscuits and chocolate tips - green and blacks dark is my fave and i love bourbon biscuits too! lol
If nothing else, maybe two weeks will kick start me into losing a bit of baby weight! lol

Thanks so much for the advice.
I will let you know how it goes and if i need anymore help! Thanks again
x

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 05-Aug-08 11:12:33

Dried figs, sesame seeds and sardines or similar for calcium, plus buy rice or oat milk with calcium added.

RedHead81 Tue 05-Aug-08 11:29:17

Thanks, I will do - i like sardines and sesame seeds - I make a mean sesame seed and sunflower seed flapjack - with honey and oats - must find the recipe again.

I couldn't view the kellymom list of dairy foods because its pdf and my computer (vista) doesn't like anything pdf - but i looked it up on another site - WAW!!! Had no idea it was in so many foods! I shall be reading up on it today and tonight and give it a go starting tomorrow. I'm hoping its just something he will grow out of, but here goes anyway!

RedHead81 Tue 05-Aug-08 11:31:38

I will of course be eliminating the obvious from today! Hmm my precious milk - gone for at least two weeks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now