Talk

Advanced search

Will there still be milk after 4 days?

(3 Posts)
Fingerbobs Mon 04-Aug-08 21:47:41

I'm going away with friends for a weekend, without dp or ds, in a couple of months, by which point my ds will be 11 months old. He's having 3 or 4 breastfeeds a day, first thing in the morning, lunchtime, mid-afternoon and bedtime. By the time I go away I expect it'll just be morning and night, as I'm going back to work at 12 months and will be more or less full time. So, my question is, if I'm away from lunchtime Saturday til lunchtime Tuesday, does that mean cold-turkey weaning or will there still be milk if I try to feed when I get back? Should I express when i'm away, or will it just be there waiting for me? I'd just feel so guilty for weaning him because I'm swanning off for the weekend, when there's not really any need....

Olihan Mon 04-Aug-08 22:01:18

My bf 19mo stayed at my mum's for 6 days a fortnight ago and is still bfing. I think once bfing is well established it takes more than a couple of days for it to stop completely.

You'll need to express after 24 hours or so to relieve the pressure - I found my boobs were very painful by then.

I fed him on the Tuesday morning, expressed a little Weds morning then expressed a lot on Weds night because I was really uncomfortable. Then I expressed on Fri night to ease the pressure again and picked him up on Saturday morning. He demanded milk about 10 minutes after I got there and obviously got some although he didn't feed for as long as usual so I'm guessing my supply had dropped a bit. By the Sunday morning he was feeding for his usual amount of time and it all seemed back to normal.

Hope that puts your mind at rest - look forward to your weekend without worrying and have a great time smile.

Fingerbobs Mon 04-Aug-08 22:14:58

Thank you very much! That only leaves what the &^&&%%&& I'm going to wear to worry about now...grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now