Talk

Advanced search

Just about to give probably last ever breastfeed - feeling sad and strange!

(11 Posts)
Holymoly321 Mon 04-Aug-08 12:35:22

DS2 is 8.5mths and has been breastfed since birth and mixed fed since about 6mths. Now only give him two breastfeeds a day but have to take a course of amocillin penicillin for the week so can't bf him. Am going to now give him last bf and just give formula this week, but prob won't go back to bfing him after. Just feeling strange about it and wanted to share...

moondog Mon 04-Aug-08 12:36:29

Are you sure you can't b/feed him? You need Tiktok's advice aswith lotsof drugs you can. Checkout Breastfeeding Network site too.

TrinityRhino Mon 04-Aug-08 12:37:49

I dont think you need to stop tbh

check before you do it

isaidno Mon 04-Aug-08 12:39:02

it's safe

CvQ Mon 04-Aug-08 12:39:17

i breastfed while having antibiotics??apart from j having a few loose nappies he was fine.am confused?

pregnabrain Mon 04-Aug-08 12:42:32

hello and sad

but...

are you absolutely sure you can't breastfeed on the antibiotics? i'm on penicillin at the moment for mastitis and am still bf. worth checking. the breastfeeding network have a really helpful pharmacist who you can speak to to check. google the tel number.

also, even if you can't breastfeed on the antibiotics, you could try expressing the two feeds for the week that you have to take the medicine and then get him back on the boob after. i'm sure he won't have forgotten what to do!

i know exactly how you feel about the thought of never doing it again. dd2 is only two months old and i'm planning to carry on for a while but i'm already feeling sad that this is my last ever go at it.

good luck with it all.

NorthernLurker Mon 04-Aug-08 12:42:37

You can feed whilst having amoxycillin. Who told you that you couldn't?

Holymoly321 Mon 04-Aug-08 13:05:17

thanks all - that's reassuring - will keep giving the boob

TinkerBellesMum Mon 04-Aug-08 13:25:50

What a load of bunkum! Stupid doctor, you need to complain! Amoxy is one of the most basic of drugs it's often given for mastitis, there's no reason you should stop!

Keep going, don't let the doctor put you off and in future check it out for yourself here.

emma1977 Mon 04-Aug-08 16:42:01

Amox is fine with BF

sfxmum Mon 04-Aug-08 16:44:05

I did bf dd when on AB but she was older and did not much like the taste at least I think that is why she barely fed that week but we resumed normal service after that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now