Talk

Advanced search

Rant about blocked duct.... again!

(7 Posts)
Mummyfor3 Mon 04-Aug-08 11:20:28

Awoke last night 2 am with sore rockhard R boob, mainly inner half. This is not the first time this has happened, I can feel the blocked duct and I am doing the hot/cold pack, massage, express, hot shower, Ibuprofen thing...again!! DS is refusing R breast, presumably because he is unable to get anyting gratifying out of it, which does not help. I am sure it will be fine again, but it is annoying.
I know this is ment to happen when latch is poor or milk removal not efficient for other reason, but why now? DS is 19 weeks old, still exclusively BF, we have not missed feeds etc.
Do you think visit to toxic MIL yesterday had something to do with it grin?
Right, I am off for further hot pack application!

poppy34 Mon 04-Aug-08 13:12:27

no advice but sympathy... and definitely your mil fault wink

Mummyfor3 Tue 05-Aug-08 08:50:28

Still no better, almost all of R boob rock hard and sore, no redness (other than when I overdo it with the heat pack..) and I am well but utterly fed up. I do not know what to do next. Have contacted the local BF support people but they are not in yet. Spent morning in hot bath hand expressing single drops (painfully) not the deluge I would need for relief. DS is refusing/cannot latch on affected breast sad.
Whose stupid idea was this BF lark in the first place??.. Like I said, fed up.

Mummyfor3 Tue 05-Aug-08 16:43:08

Now heading for full blown mastitis, hence "bubp": Any ideas what else I can do other than express (with v little result although DS will drink result from bottle but he refuses upset boobie point blank), moist heat ( I have been expressing in the bath until hot water ran out), etc etc.
I have been to hospital today and they tried to help with hospital grade pump - no joy!
Any ideas welcome

soremummy Tue 05-Aug-08 16:52:18

have you tried combing? if you look on kelly moms website you might find some info. I feel for you its not nice

NeuroMum Tue 05-Aug-08 17:00:02

Does feeding him hurt and do you have a white spot anywhere on your nipple? If so, this may be skin forming over the blocked duct stopping milk flow, which may be why your little one won't feed from it. Piercing with a sterilised needle to break the skin may help (read about this on Baby Centre). This happened to me a few days ago and the relief after DD fed was amazing!

Hope it improves...

Mummyfor3 Wed 06-Aug-08 18:37:26

Thanks for everybody's thoughts and advice. I have now had 2 hospital appointments with great BF advisers and the lady today was brutal but did the trick. Came home still engorged and sore but boob nipple soft enough for DS to latch on and latch on he did: and did not let go for 45 (!) min.
I am so happy now smile: I can stop expressing in the bath until ALL of me is all wrinkly, DS is almost drowned and we have run out of hot water - long may it continue...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now