Talk

Advanced search

Need some advice please re bf

(15 Posts)
Thepuddingchef Mon 04-Aug-08 09:40:32

My dd is 4 weeks now and bf was going really well to start with, painful but ok. She's putting on weight good poos etc.....the last few days have been hell and i'm struggling to keep sane.
I have given a few ebm, and formula in morning as she's screaming with hunger, as during the night she just won't latch on properly and just doesn't feed well. It hurts during and after, esp on right side, and I can feel a lump forming, which is a block duct right? I have woken up this morning and my boobs just don't feel full, is this because shes not feeding much at night, so i'm not producing more? I was able to express 4oz in 10 mins last week, now i'm down to 2oz in 30 mins. I don't want to give up yet, any advice would be good.

EffiePerine Mon 04-Aug-08 09:46:31

It sounds to me like you'res till doing well but could do with some extra help. You need to give an expert a call - the bf helplines are all open at the minute

www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/breastfeeding/directory/

it could be mastitis, or thrush, or any number of things. Also, if she is having a bit of a growth spurt it's generally better to feed more rather than givng bottles as you need to build up your supply, but again talk to someone who knows about this

Expressing has little relation to the amount of milk you actually produce - it might be that she's taking more at each feed so there's less left over IYSWIM

Anyway give someone a call! You're foinf reallt well and the first few weeks are the hardest

EffiePerine Mon 04-Aug-08 09:48:32

also really common for babies to be fussy (aka grumpy) in the evenings and at night - DS was and my supply was fine.

more info here

www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

in fact Kellymom is a great site and I would advise having a good browse

bamboostalks Mon 04-Aug-08 09:52:42

You are doing brilliantly, the first weeks are so tough, it will pass very quickly and feeding becomes smoother. Do contact the above numbers. Try not to give formula and stop expressing. Just keep feeding the baby yourself, lots of cuddles and skin to skin. If you keep expressing and topping up in these early days, your supply may be compromised. Get yourself established in bf then think about expressing if you want to.

Lib76 Mon 04-Aug-08 09:52:44

hi there! i have just had the same problem and thought it was thrush (which it may be) and was treated for gp for same. continued to have breast pain when feeding and DS was unhappy after feeds. I also had lumps which i just thought were from being full. i was also mixing feeds ebm and formula cause ds was so hungry. i found it just made us both very unsettled, i was in tears with it all.

my advice, get to your gp asap and make sure they have a feel of your boobs incase you have blocked ducts or mastitis. also make sure latch is correct, i spoke to breast feeding counseller which did help. the problem i had was cracked nipples also and DS was drinking blood!! all in all i had a pretty bad time cause gp never had feel of boobs abd i ended up in hospital getting anti-biotics through a drip. DON'T worry this won't happen to you, i was VERY unlucky.

Get help today otherwise you will both be frazzeld.

My DS is now on formula and much more settled. this isn't what i wanted but he had 7 wks of BM which i am pleased about. i couldn't go back to BF cause of pain and infection. the most important thing is that you are both happy and your DD is gaining ok.

Good luck X

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 04-Aug-08 09:55:47

Lump - probably a blocked duct. Keep feeding from this breast. Also form a fist and roll the fist firmly from the very top of your breast right down to the nipple. Support your breast with your other hand, and if possible do it in the shower.

Unsettled at the breast - could just be developmental, so just keep offering the breast and try and keep your patience in check! Also check for thrush, does your lo have white spots in their mouth? Do you have deep tissue pain in the breast? If so, speak to your HV or GP and get some treatment.

Expressing - don't worry about the yield, it means nothing and isn't a reflection on your supply. However, the more formula and less breast feeds you give will compromise your supply. However this can be turned around by offering the breast every hour or two. This may seem a faff, but it's what you have to do to boost your supply.

The first few weeks are the trickiest, you are both learning a new skill. Be kind and understanding to both of you and you will get through this glitch.

Good luck smile

Thepuddingchef Mon 04-Aug-08 10:07:01

I have just had a look at the kellymom website and I am pretty sure it might be thrush as dd has white marks in her mouth and on her lips, will make doc app now. Will explain why i'm getting the pain while feeding too.

EffiePerine Mon 04-Aug-08 10:08:15

Sympathies: thrush is painful. Make sure you treat yourself and DD at the same time so you don't reinfect each other. Good luck

VictorianSqualor Mon 04-Aug-08 10:11:09

If it's thrush print off and take this leaflet with you to the doc and tell them you want fluconazole.

Thepuddingchef Mon 04-Aug-08 10:50:25

lib76, what did you have if it wasn't thrush? Just a very bad infection? Sounds awful.

Thepuddingchef Mon 04-Aug-08 13:01:18

just been to docs. He has given me drops for baby, as he confirmed it looked like thrush. He examined me and said that it looked like it could possibly be the start of an infection in the milk duct, but was ok at min. I could have anti biotics if I wanted hmm
Now I'm no medical whiz, but surely if Megan has thrush, and i'm experiencing intense pain when feeding I have it also? So I am going to keep infecting her. Or am I just being a bit dumb. Can bf babies have thrush and not pass it onto the mother, and the pain is just a coincidence? I'm confused.

EffiePerine Mon 04-Aug-08 13:02:25

yes you need to treat yourself as well

sounds like he has little clue tbh

can you see another doctor, or ring one of the helplines for advice?

Lib76 Mon 04-Aug-08 13:10:00

Hi The puddingchef! glad you got to the docs. If you have thrush, you will keep re-infecting DD. i had mastitis on both breasts and it was so painful. just keep an eye that your boobs don't go hard or red and you feel ill. with me it came on very quickly. hopefully it is just thrush and very easily treated.
x

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 04-Aug-08 14:53:32

Yes you need to be treated too. Phone up the surgery and get your GP to call you back and ask him to prescribe a treatment for you. You really shouldn't have to go there again.

Your lo probably isn't draining your breast properly as it's painful to feed, which is why you may have a blocked duct. So keep feeding through the pain (I know it's the last thing you feel like doing, but it will stop the blockage escalating)

littlemisssplendid Mon 04-Aug-08 15:05:24

Best advice I got for a blocked duct (and I had several!!) was to buy an afro comb and comb the boob over the blockage towards the nipple. Felt ridiculous but it worked!!

I got mastitis 3 times and it was horrible but once I got passed about 6/7 weeks it all fell into place. Try to keep going for a few more weeks and it WILL get easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now