Talk

Advanced search

My cousin's wife had a baby 2 days ago, had no help with BF in hospital, came to see us today and

(20 Posts)
SparklyGothKat Mon 04-Aug-08 00:57:00

I helped her latch her beautiful baby on grin She wants to BF but had no help in hospital so gave her a bottle when she came home. She came here this evening and the baby was rooting, and I said to try again. I helped her with positioning and latching, and away she went. Have lent her my BF pillow and said if she needs any help to just call me (we live about 5 mins walk apart) I am so proud of her for trying. I think she thought it was too late.

thornrose Mon 04-Aug-08 00:59:41

Well done, you should be proud of yourself for helping. I wish I'd met someone like you years ago when I was struggling.

CaptFabioHiltsCatInTheCooler Mon 04-Aug-08 01:00:39

Well done you!

It makes me spit, how the government wants all babies to be breastfed, yet supplies no support.

Did you hear what happened to Franny in hospital? The LLL woman came to see her in her own time, and the NHS breastfeeding counsellor phoned after she and ds2 were out to offer support!

<rant about underfunding deleted>

SparklyGothKat Mon 04-Aug-08 01:06:35

I said to her taht I am very pro-BF and if she thinks that I am pissing her off to tell me. She said that she wants to BF, but after her DS cracked her nipples and how painful it was, and it took weeks to heal, she is in 2 minds. I explained about positioning and how it shouldn't hurt, and I think she will keep at it

CvQ Mon 04-Aug-08 01:07:51

brilliant!and to know she can come to you must be really reassuring for hersmile
i found bf so traumatic for the first 5+months and tbh its only been the last few months ive really connected with it and started to actually enjoy it.

thornrose Mon 04-Aug-08 01:09:23

When in 2 minds all you need is that extra reassurance that everything will turn out ok, that person who is at the other end of the phone when you are in pain and about to give up, I speak from bitter experience!

Califrau Mon 04-Aug-08 01:11:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SparklyGothKat Mon 04-Aug-08 01:11:38

I think the fact that I have been asked to train as a BF peer supporter helped TBH. I am very Pro-BF and am going to do the training as soon as the HV has found enough people to train at the same time.

She said it felt fine but it did make her tummy contract a lot (I said it will get her back into shape quicker)

The baby is beautiful tho. I am all broody.... blush

QueenyEisGotTheBall Mon 04-Aug-08 01:32:27

what an amazing thing for you to do for your cousinsmile i myself am very pro-BF and struggled alot during the first few weeks of BF my DD. i had practically no support from HCPs with one (of the many) MWs i saw in the first 4 weeks actually suggesting i 'switch to formula if i feel i am struggling'hmm she had no pearls of wisdom (partly due to the fact that she had no children of her own) to offer me and told me i would possibly be more relaxed FFing my DDhmm if i had had someone like you i may have not found it such a struggle in the early days. i did however with the support of my DH carry on until DD was 6 monthssmile
good luck with the peer support training, it sounds like you will be ideal for the positionsmile
xx ei xx

CaptFabioHiltsCatInTheCooler Mon 04-Aug-08 01:36:09

SGK ds2 has the best expression of any baby on mn in your profile. The shocked, cross and how-very-dare-you face, looking to his right.

I think you're broody because ds2 is nearly a boddler.

You'll be a top bf supporter smile

SparklyGothKat Mon 04-Aug-08 01:42:49

I also struggled a lot with BF this time around.Callum didn't latch correctly and didn't gain weight to the standards of the HCPs. I kept at it with the support of DH, my family and the BF clinic HV.
Callum is 10 months now and still BF. I find it relaxing, and it makes me happy. (also i am tight and refuse to buy formula wink)

SparklyGothKat Mon 04-Aug-08 09:39:52

I might text her later and see how she is getting on, or would that be too pushy??

BouncingTurtle Mon 04-Aug-08 10:17:11

How lovely SGK, wonderful you were able to help her
A text would be nice, just to say hope you are ok - she knows where you are and that you want to help, so I would leave it at that.
I'm also hoping to start peer supporter training as well but there is not many trainers in the area!

MrsJamin Mon 04-Aug-08 12:38:29

How lovely that you are helping her, I am so indebted to the people that helped me BF, I owe them months of happy feeding my DS. I would text just to let her know you're happy to see her again etc, as perhaps she might need help again checking the latch etc? Some people aren't very good at asking for help when they need it.

SparklyGothKat Mon 04-Aug-08 12:42:39

I know when I started BF, my HV told me to go to the BF clinic, I put it off, because I didn't want to be seen as a failure who couldn't latch my baby on right, I eventually gave in and went and it was the best thing I did.

chipmonkey Mon 04-Aug-08 13:17:20

Well done SGK! smile

fondant4000 Mon 04-Aug-08 13:36:08

That's fantastic! Even if she doesn't keep it up - you gave her the option she didn't have.

I knew that if I felt the contractions I was getting it right and dd was getting milk - so found them reassuring

I had a bf counsellor for dd1. Had a lot of trouble and pain for 10 weeks. The best thing was that she was there if I needed to call, and didn't judge.

You'd have to word the text right - just in case she's still having difficulties, or has decided not to bf. Well done you grin

thequietone Mon 04-Aug-08 13:38:57

Well done you! News that made me smile. It is horrid when the latching doesn't work quite right and there's blood etc. but eventually (and quite quickly) the pain goes once you reposition and...bingo!!

cheesesarnie Mon 04-Aug-08 13:41:07

i tried bf ds2 in hospital but he got poorly,ended up with tube then nurses said bottles,5 days later at home he was back on the breast.smile.didnt last for more than 5 weeks but im so glad i tried again and had those weeks.

SparklyGothKat Mon 04-Aug-08 13:49:40

I said that even if she only BF for a few weeks, that its all good. She managed 3 1/2 weeks with her son. My cousin is very supportive of her BF and even he said its the best thing for the baby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now