Talk

Advanced search

Is my daughter getting enough?

(8 Posts)
littlemisssplendid Sun 03-Aug-08 19:22:42

I'm bf my 14 wk dd about 5x through the day (every 3 hours ish) and once through the night. Ocassionally we substitute with a bottle of ebm or formula or a mixture of the two. She never takes more than 4oz.

I'm just a bit worried that this doesn't seem very much. She is only on the 9th centile (having been on the 20th a few weeks ago)and is quite petite. She does plenty of wet and dirty nappies though.

Am I just being a worrier or should she be feeding more?

cmotdibbler Sun 03-Aug-08 19:51:40

Sounds fine to me. DS never took more than 4oz in a bottle.

If you are worried though, why not offer an extra feed ?

tab1 Sun 03-Aug-08 19:58:32

just bf on demand rather than sticking to a routine and she will be getting enough if her nappies are wet.

jafina Sun 03-Aug-08 20:07:14

sounds good to me, she will let you know if she wants more. My dd is around 9th centile too but is happy and healthy, they don't all get to be big bruisers!

littlemisssplendid Sun 03-Aug-08 20:09:34

Thanks. She really doesn't demand it that often and I can not tell a hungry cry from a tired cry anyway. So I offer her it every 3 hours ish and she has a good feed (at least 30 mins).

I suppose the oz guidlines for amounts on the packets of formula are probably high to encourage you to use more of the stuff. Although I did read somewhere that they should have 2.5x their weight, which would mean about 28oz. It's just really difficult to tell when bf how much she is actually having.

baltimore97 Sun 03-Aug-08 20:29:27

DD2 is 14 weeks as well. I was bfeeding her until she was 11 weeks, but she was failing to gain weight, falling from the 50th to the 0.4th centile. She is now totally FF, and is gaining weight, but still only drinks 4-5oz at each of her 5 feeds and is sticking to the 9th centile (like her sister).

She is obviously drinking less than the guidelines on the formula box, but is MUCH happier than when she was not gaining weight. Like your DD (and my DD1) she is just a small baby with a smallish appetite.

littlemisssplendid Sun 03-Aug-08 20:30:52

Yes, keep telling myself that a nice dainty baby is good and at least she will stay in clothes for longer. Thanks baltimore

cmotdibbler Sun 03-Aug-08 21:30:47

Breastmilk changes in composition, so they take a pretty much constant amount from about 2 weeks until well into weaning. Obv formula doesn't change, so they need more and more generally

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now