Talk

Advanced search

Traumatic breastfeeding

(13 Posts)
pleasechange Sat 02-Aug-08 21:32:54

BF is becoming increasingly difficult with DS. He does have colic, which obviously is making him very distressed a lot of the time. Over the last few days, bf has become v difficult - he latches well but then moves around so much that he comes off quickly. He also fusses with his hands and kicks his legs, meaning that with all the movement, bf is almost impossible. He also screams sometimes when feeding for no apparent reason. Sometimes when he is showing signs of still being hungry (rooting etc.), he just screams around the breast rather than latching.

I don't think I have particularly fast or slow let-down, so I don't think this is the cause.

All this is v frustrating and is really worrying me. To ensure he gets enough milk, I have started expressing and giving him this (just once a day). He does still fuss, but it's so much easier to control him with the bottle.

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice?

stretchmarkqueen Sat 02-Aug-08 21:35:41

Have you tried different positions?? How old is your baby?? I was told under 4 weeks you could swaddle. It worked for me. Sympathies. x

TheProvincialLady Sat 02-Aug-08 21:36:05

How old is he?

MsDemeanor Sat 02-Aug-08 21:38:43

Colic is really normal. It doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong. You coul dtry swaddling him for bf, or just wrapping him tightly. Small babies have no or very little voluntary control of their limbs.

CuppaTeaJanice Sat 02-Aug-08 21:42:33

Will he dream feed? My son started screaming at the sight of my nipples at 9wks, but feeds ok if I start feeding him while he's still drowsy.
Try googling 'nursing strike'. I don't think he is 'on strike' as he still wants to feed, but you'll find info on making the feeding experience more relaxed for you both.
Good luck!

pleasechange Sat 02-Aug-08 21:44:52

He's 4.5 weeks. I haven't tried swaddling him during feeding and so will try that.

The only other position I've tried is lying down during night feeds. This is working better than the traditional hold at the minute

pleasechange Sat 02-Aug-08 21:46:39

Thanks cuppatea I'll look that up. The night feeds when he's drowsy do work well, but the daytime ones are more of a problem

fishie Sat 02-Aug-08 21:47:32

if you are really worried talk to a bfc, otherwise feed on through it and don't bother with bottles. might be growth spurt.

stretchmarkqueen Sat 02-Aug-08 21:47:49

try the rugby ball hold, he may prefer it. You could try removing top half of your clothes and all his, barring the nappy!! and snuggle him like that, skin-to-skin.

VeniVidiVickiQV Sat 02-Aug-08 21:49:03

Dunno if he's too old, but i remember tiktok mentioning biological nurturing positions - have a quick google.

Perhaps you could try feeding him with you propped up slightly on a pillow but laying down, and him laying on top of you, facing down, as it were. Might help with the fussing and colicky behaviour.

ten10 Sat 02-Aug-08 21:51:35

This sounds slightly similar to my DS,

he had dreadful colic, almost every feed he would take one or two gulps of milk and then start screaming,
I would then have to take ages to wind him before trying again

feeds would sometimes take an hour.

He could be just as bad from a bottle (expressed milk or formula)

the more relaxed I was and having a very calm quiet place for a feed was the best thing.

Thinking back I don't really know how I kept going except I had massive determination to mainly breastfeed.

His colic lasted until 20 weeks when I decided I could put up with it no longer, so I started him on solids and this sorted him out immediately and never had colic ever again.
Not that I am advocating early weaning or saying that this would work for others

TheProvincialLady Sat 02-Aug-08 21:52:19

Are you picking up on his feeding cues early and getting him stuck in whilst he is still calm, or do you think you might be waiting until he is really starving and distressed before starting? My DS was really sensitive to this and acted just as you describe. Also, he was exclusively bed EBM by bottle as I couldn't BF, so don't blame the BFgrin

kiskidee Sat 02-Aug-08 21:52:58

swaddling should help. if you find feeding lying down helping then do it as much as possible!

also look at this leaflet and the rest of the site. Spend as much of the next day or two in bed with your baby, with minimal clothing on him (nappy?) let him feed as often as possible. Babies at this age have a strong instinct to find their own way to the breast if you put them to lie on your front in this position without the expectation to have contact just to feed. They will wiggle and squirm to your breast when they are feeling a bit peckish.

I know you can't spend all day or every day like this but if you have a couple hrs in the afternoon or early evening, give it a go and see if your baby teaches you something.

good luck and congratulations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now