Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and alcohol

(9 Posts)
chickenmama Sat 02-Aug-08 12:05:55

I'm hoping to go out tonight for a few drinks with friends. My dd is 2yrs 2months and still breastfeeding. She usually wakes for a feed in the night and has a morning one too. Does anyone have any advice on how much I could drink without affecting her thru the milk, or how long I should leave it b4 she gets a feed. Thanks

kiskidee Sat 02-Aug-08 12:08:06

if you come home and you are able to walk and talk (within reason) there is no reason why you can't feed her straight away.

the pump and dump thing is mostly nonsense.

aurorec Sat 02-Aug-08 13:28:01

If you're worried you could always try to discourage from her night feed, maybe offer a cuddle/water instead? The morning one will be no problem whatsoever.

Enjoy your evening!

sparklesandnowinefor12weeks Sat 02-Aug-08 13:43:48

I'll add a disclaimer to this one as i'm unsure if its true or not, but my midwife (lovely lady who i had for all 4 of my DC so know her quite well) told me there is not really alot of effect between bf and having a few drinks (obviously if you were bf and on the lash all the time then that would be different!) but she said that going out for a few drinks every now and then doesn't have an effect and that there is no need to express and throw away the milk

I must admit that if i have gone out and had more than just a fewwink i have always expressed and thrown 'just in case' - but for just a few drinks i never have

Enjoy your night smile

mybabysinthegarden Sat 02-Aug-08 13:54:36

I go with something I once read on the internet that said it was fine up to 3 times the drink driving limit grin

Janus Sun 03-Aug-08 08:58:32

Do you think if I regularly share a bottle of wine with other half and then breastfeed this is too much? I am never 'drunk' but on a Saturday night (and maybe once in the week) I would say we would share a bottle over food and then I would feed about 2-4 hours later. Don't notice any difference in baby but wonder if I am being sensible here? What do you think?

StealthPolarBear Sun 03-Aug-08 09:01:16

I would, possibly not quite that much a normal sized glass of wine and a smaller one? Don't think it really matters as long as the baby isn't tiny

kiskidee Sun 03-Aug-08 09:35:32

Tiktok's posts in this thread gives fuller info about alcohol and bf.

Janus Sun 03-Aug-08 10:27:01

wow, that's a fab thread and gives all info you would need, ta.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now