Talk

Advanced search

Handling of EBM

(4 Posts)
FeelingLucky Fri 01-Aug-08 22:03:42

As I recall, I thought that if baby hadn;t finished milk it had to be discarded after an hour as it had made contact with saliva. But, just looked on kellymom which says: "If baby does not finish milk at one feeding, it may be refrigerated and offered at the next feeding before it is discarded."

So, if I warm up milk to give to baby and she doesn't take it all and I put in fridge, can I warm again?

I'm looking after sister's 4 month DD tomorrow so don't want to poison her with my ignorance.

merryandmad Fri 01-Aug-08 22:17:46

Do not reheat milk that has already been warmed once already- it needs to be disguarded.
Not sure what the experts say- but when my little ones were given EBM (if it hadn't been warmed) but they were not interested you should be able to put it back in the fridge- but bot if it has been warmed.

kiskidee Fri 01-Aug-08 22:22:34

dd got ebm at nursery till she was 18mos. She would get a bottle in the pm and sip it till it was finished and her nursery room was always a little on the warm side, even in the winter. easily more than an hour maybe more like two. she never had a problem with it.

the one hour rule is for formula, not ebm. EBM which has not been heated past say blood temp. will have living cells in it which are actively killing bacteria that the saliva would contain so its shelf life is longer.

FeelingLucky Sun 03-Aug-08 20:53:07

Thanks ladies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now