Talk

Advanced search

Feeling shivvery and crap with ANOTHER blocked duct. Any old wives tales that might make me feel better?

(12 Posts)
BroccoliSpears Fri 01-Aug-08 12:13:29

Ouch.

And brrrrrr.

PortAndLemon Fri 01-Aug-08 12:17:00

If you're actually feeling shivery and crap it may have progressed to mastitis. It might be a good idea to get in to see your GP today.

BroccoliSpears Fri 01-Aug-08 12:27:05

I think mastitus is probably worse than this - isn't it more fluey, can't get out of bed?

IorekByrnison Fri 01-Aug-08 12:29:06

Agree with PortAndLemon that it would be a good idea to see a GP today - sounds like mastitis if you've got the shivers. Usually clears up very quickly with antibiotics.

Sorry you're feeling so awful.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PortAndLemon Fri 01-Aug-08 12:31:33

But if you're getting the shivers then it sounds like the start of "fluey" to me. And it's a Friday today so if you get worse tomorrow you'd need to try and get an out of hours doctor.

IorekByrnison Fri 01-Aug-08 12:31:47

More info here.

BroccoliSpears Fri 01-Aug-08 12:43:41

Thank you for the link.

It says "Most cases of mastitis can be successfully treated by using a number of self-help techniques, such as feeding your baby more frequently, or expressing any excess milk after a feed"

- why do these things always happen on a Friday? Ho hum, not sure what to do.

Well I'd guess they'll be unlikely to see me this afternoon anyway, and I'm not sure if I can face getting my two out of the house.

Will continue to drink lots and feed lots on that side and hope it's just a blocked duct. Doesn't feel too much worse than previous blocked ducts which I have fed out.

BroccoliSpears Fri 01-Aug-08 12:44:50

My two children, I mean... grin

I do seem to be very prone to them since having ds. Only had one or two the whole time I fed dd.

PortAndLemon Fri 01-Aug-08 12:54:01

It also says (on page 2) "You should always contact your GP or midwife if you think you have mastitis. Though the condition is usually not serious, advice and sometimes prompt treatment may be required to prevent the condition worsening."

BroccoliSpears Fri 01-Aug-08 12:55:59

Ahh. Page two you say?

blush

I'll phone the doctor.

crumpet Fri 01-Aug-08 13:18:35

I used to put a hot wet flannel over the area then massage down over the area in the direction of the milk flow - usually easier in the bath to deal with the squirting!

Good luck - its horrid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now