Talk

Advanced search

I've got a ^cracker^ for you....

(31 Posts)
ThatBigGermanPrison Fri 01-Aug-08 10:20:55

I have received 'Keep Warm Initiative'# literature from the Department of Health. On the front of the leaflet is a picture of a mum lovingly feeding her tiny baby.

With a bottle.

What happened to this golden opportunity for the Department of Health to show that they are serious about supporting breastfeeding?

I'm not knocking bottle feeding. I did it, I thought it was great. But this is The Department of Health - surely they should be promoting health?

moondog Fri 01-Aug-08 10:21:52

Pathetic isn't it?
What is keep warm initiative anyway?

charliecat Fri 01-Aug-08 10:21:56

I reckon we should all complain. Group Whinge.

ThatBigGermanPrison Fri 01-Aug-08 10:24:41

It's where they send people in budget housing information about potential eligibility for a grant to insulate and heat your home. So, not even related to feeding babies, and they couldn't even get the default method of feeding right.

Yes, CC, I agree, a group whine would be fabby.

shock

charliecat Fri 01-Aug-08 10:26:35

Right find out where we whonge to and we will bump this until a HUGE noise has been made.

WilfSell Fri 01-Aug-08 10:29:10

try emailing: dhmail@dh.gsi.gov.uk

charliecat Fri 01-Aug-08 10:30:55

does the leaflet have anumber/reference?

ThatBigGermanPrison Fri 01-Aug-08 10:33:20

dhmail@dh.gis.gov.uk

I've just read their policy on breastfeeding too, and intend to quote it at them maliciously and pointedly.

ThatBigGermanPrison Fri 01-Aug-08 10:34:01

it might be mk839

RedHead81 Fri 01-Aug-08 10:35:47

I just looked for it on the net, but can't find it. Not good though is it?

charliecat Fri 01-Aug-08 10:36:26

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/DH_074279

and chance you could see if you can find it here?

ThatBigGermanPrison Fri 01-Aug-08 10:50:39

am speaking to Defra as we speak......

can you tell I'm due on?

ThatBigGermanPrison Fri 01-Aug-08 10:51:12

defra 02072386951

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Fri 01-Aug-08 11:01:08

does anyone have the BFing policy we can quote at them?

RedHead81 Fri 01-Aug-08 11:07:05

still can't find it online....

AuntieBranflake Fri 01-Aug-08 13:09:58

I know I'm gonna regret this, but here goes....

Does 'promoting breastfeeding' mean that every last piece of literature, poster etc. etc. etc. has to show a breastfeeding baby and never a bottlefeeding one? Why all the fuss about one picture, when there's ooooooodles for breastfeeding? In short I think that the DoH does promote breastfeeding.

I'm not knocking either method either (ala OP), I've used them both, but there's plenty of breastfeeding 'promotion' going on in the maternity units, by midwives, health visitors etc. - and arguably this is where it's best placed.

I can't remember seeing a single word/picture about bottlefeeding at any maternity unit with my 2 DCs. Infact it must have seeped in, because I went from finding breastfeeding a bit creepy (can't explain why, I just did) to wanting to very much.

I know I'll get flamed big time for this, but I'm sorry, I can't get all hot under the collar about this leaflet. Not that anyone seems to be able to find it anyway grin.

laughalot Fri 01-Aug-08 13:21:12

Why do breastfeeders get so uptight about a bottle hmm

ilovemydog Fri 01-Aug-08 13:26:45

ThatBigGerman - how did it go with DEFRA?

ThatBigGermanPrison Fri 01-Aug-08 13:26:55

Well, ABF

I have complained because it's not giving breastfeeding its place as the default feeding method. They have used a mother feeding a baby as a way of portraying a cosy home - the leaflet is nothing to do with babies or feeding. They have portrayed bottle feeding as the default option. Why does breastfeeding need to be so promoted anyway? It's because bottle feeding was pushed and pushed and pushed by formula companies until it because the majority method - the default.

It shouldn't be the default. It's not as good as breastfeeding - and I come from a position where I did it twice - and breastfeeding has been sidelined by it.

The DOH has produced a leaflet that sidelines breastfeeding simply by picturing the tiny baby being bottlefed.

mamadiva Fri 01-Aug-08 13:28:04

I don't see the big problem? God I remember when I was getting Surestart vouchers for milk etc and I used to get some bloody starnge little magazine and atleast 3 of them had 'Melinda messengers Breastfeeding Diary' I couldn't give a shit about that woman TBH.

Anyway not everything has to have breasts all over it to promote BF.

ThatBigGermanPrison Fri 01-Aug-08 13:28:07

I'm not and never have been a breastfeeder, and the first person to mention Nazis or the Mafio gets a courtesy "Don't be so effing dim" kick up the arse from me.

I got an address to write to, shall I type it up?

charliecat Fri 01-Aug-08 13:30:16

Slight over reaction from me but it is similar to having a stay safe in the saun leaflet with..a man smoking on the frontgrin

charliecat Fri 01-Aug-08 13:30:38

sun and leaflet<must bin keyboard>

Iklboo Fri 01-Aug-08 13:31:00

Ah but you just know that if the leaflet had a woman breastfeeding tiddler someone would complain about there beinf bare breasts on show hmm wink

Should have had a woman outside Greggs feeding baby sausage rolls n fruit shoots grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now