Talk

Advanced search

Help! 6mo breastfed baby and nappy issues...

(5 Posts)
GillianLovesMarmite Thu 31-Jul-08 22:59:54

My ds is just over 6 months and is exclusively breastfed. Have recently started introducing some foods, but on a blw basis - ie if he wants it he eats it, otherwise generally spreads it on the table smile.
So far he maybe eats only a taste of something every other day or so eg piece of banana, piece of broccoli, small finger of toast but is sometimes not bothered.
However, since yesterday he has had lots of very pale and loose stools - looser even than normal for a breastfed baby - to the extent that he leaked all down dh this afternoon when he had a hold of him, and has leaked all over his playnest tonight as the nappies just aren't containing the contents. I've only changed him twice today when he has only wet and not soiled.
I'd really appreciate some advice - is it just due to the diet changes, might it be a teething thing or should I take him to the dr's.
Other than the nappy issues he is his normal cheerful and perky self.

goldenpeach Fri 01-Aug-08 10:00:27

Take it to doctor or talk to health visitor if concerned. If he is happy and active he should be ok. It could well be teething and the new food, but do go to doctor or talk to someone as sometimes you get other useful piece of info, like when I went because she wasn't having many solids and I was told she was having too much breast milk for an 8 month old so not much interest in solids.
They only eat very little solids at 6 months, they are called tasters for a reason. I used to freeze boiled mashed fruit and veg in an iced cube tray to avoid waste and you can mix them for variety. Finger foods are usually at 7 months, so he is advanced there.
They go to three meals a day towards 8 months, but mine did at 9 months as she liked her breast milk too much, still does at 15 months+.

GillianLovesMarmite Fri 01-Aug-08 10:16:54

Hi,

I did phone the dr's this morning after he leaked again while having his am feed - although on the experience of yesterday I had put a towel over my lap and the bed just in case - which in the end was just as well grin.
The dr said that seeing as he was otherwise fine that it isn't anything to worry about - providing he is feeding ok (which he is... it would take a lot for ds not to feed...) and has no temperature or anything else - which he doesn't. All with the proviso that I ring back etc if situation worsens or doesn't improve over the next day or so.
I'm still wondering if it's teething related though.
It's good to hear someone elses blw experience as having read some of the other posts where people are feeding their lo from 5 months on quite advanced food it does concern me sometimes that we're doing the right thing, not with the breastfeeding - which is obviously the right thing, but with the blw... however, I do think it's the way to go, as at least it's sooo much less stress than trying to force them to eat stuff they're not interested in!
Will see how it goes today though...

moondog Fri 01-Aug-08 10:18:53

Normal Gillian. You're doing great. Your baby very lucky to have been exclusively breastfed for so long. Well done!

GillianLovesMarmite Fri 01-Aug-08 10:33:55

Thanks very much grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now