Advanced search


(5 Posts)
woodmill100 Thu 31-Jul-08 21:10:38


Up until now, we've boiled the kettle and allowed it to cool slightly before filling the bottles to the required level and putting them in the fridge.

Water is then heated slightly before adding powder and feeding DS.

I have done some research and this appears now to be wrong despite my formula provider saying it is ok!

I've read that water needs to be 70 to disolve and kill any bacteria in powder. Or use water cooled for 30 minutes after boiling. Fair enough but how on earth do you cool the water quickly enough when you have a screaming baby at 2 am starving hungry?

Did think about taking a flask of cooler water but this won't then kill the bacteria because it is not hot enough!

Any tips?

JamInMyWellies Thu 31-Jul-08 21:20:05

Have a look through the archives there are masses of threads on this. Am not going to tell what I would do as it is a very emotive subject. I think you have to be aware of all the facts as to why you should follow the guidlines and then make oyur mind up whether to follow them to the letter or to sway and do it your own way.

HTH sorry its a bit rambly

woodmill100 Thu 31-Jul-08 21:22:00

Not at all. Thanks for your input. Of course, I want to do it right and if I am wrong things will change from now!

angel1976 Thu 31-Jul-08 21:26:33

Having a PFB, I boiled water fresh and added formula and then cool the bottle in some iced water (make sure you have lots of ice!) until it is the right temperature. Takes a couple of minutes as long as you have lots of ice...

DS is now 5 months old and not bothered anymore... I fill half the bottle with boiled water to cool down and when he wants a feed, I put freshly boiled water in and formula. That way I get the bottle just at the right temperature (usually slightly warm but cools down really quick).

ExterminAitch Thu 31-Jul-08 21:29:59

i checked with a thermometer, tbh. not every time, obv. wink

so i'd put my bottles with (just less than i needed) boiling water on the counter in the morning, then when i needed them i'd whack one in the micro, bring it to 70 degs, add the powder, shake it like crazy and then either add some cooled boiled water from another bottle to cool or if i had the right amount in there, run it under the tap. it was v easy, once i knew how long it took to get to seventy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: