Talk

Advanced search

EXPRESSING - where to store?

(9 Posts)
looneytune Thu 31-Jul-08 08:49:08

Just expressed for the first time (with this baby, I did with ds1 too but that was 5 yrs ago!) and am not sure where to store the milk? I'm going to use it today to try ds2 out with a bottle so don't need to freeze. I would have thought it needs to go in the fridge and then be warmed sat in hot water for a short time before giving? I have a friend who leaves it out at room temp but not sure what's recommended?

TIA

cmotdibbler Thu 31-Jul-08 08:51:32

Put it at the back of the fridge, and then warm it up a little before giving.

looneytune Thu 31-Jul-08 08:54:08

Thanks for that. Out of interest, why the back?

mamadiva Thu 31-Jul-08 08:58:25

Milk should be stored in the back of the fridge to avoid sudden changes in temperature when you open the door, according to my MW LOL, obviously the back is the coolest part too.

looneytune Thu 31-Jul-08 09:06:29

Great, thanks for that

We'll see if the little man takes to the bottle ok then - he's a lot harder work than ds1 was and dh said I can go back to having lie ins on Sat mornings if he's able to feed him for me

looneytune Fri 01-Aug-08 10:01:14

Great success This means I get a lie in every Saturday and dh can give EBM in a bottle on those occasions grin

Another question. If freezing it, how soon does it have to go in the freezer? (i.e. presume milk that was expressed last night that is in the fridge is too late to be transferred to the freezer?). I'm only planning on expressing for odd bottle but I expressed again last night after ds2 had had the bottle, in order to keep my supply as it should be. Now I'm trying to decide what to do with it but guessing I'll need to give him the bottles today rather than freezing now?

Also, how long in the fridge can it be kept ok? Is it 24 hours like formula?

TIA

TettyLouBar Fri 01-Aug-08 10:12:36

Hey, not sure i can help with that question, but in reference to freezing milk:
from my own experience I would recommend sniffing the thawed milk from freezer before giving it.
my milk smelt rancid after thawing (something to do with lipase i think) so I was recommended to "scald" the milk first before freezing it.
look at www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/lipase-expressedmilk.html
it works wonders!
not all mums need to scald their milk but I froze tons before realising and every batch smelt terrible and DD didn't like it either.
Good luck wink

looneytune Fri 01-Aug-08 10:20:17

OMG, thanks for that. I'd be sooooo upset if I had to just chuck away my milk like that!!

I will definitely test a small bit first before freezing more and I'll have a look at that link to see if I get the answer about how soon to freeze.

Many Thanks

EffiePerine Fri 01-Aug-08 10:28:32

You can freeze as long as the EBM hasn't been in the fridge long enough to go off IYSWIM. I used to express during the day, stick bottle in fridge and freeze in teh evening or the next morning.

There's lots of stuff on Kellymom about expressing and storage so shouod be something there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now