Talk

Advanced search

10 month old will not drink milk!

(6 Posts)
louise84 Wed 30-Jul-08 19:36:27

my 10 month old has recently gone right off her formula milk, she will take about 4 oz in the morning and i add about 2 oz to her cereal for breakfast, she will not have any more milk until she goes to bed and if we're lucky she will take 5 oz but for instance tonight she has only taken 1 1/2 oz.

This has happened over the last 2 weeks I've been giving her lots of cheese and yogurts etc to make up for it but I'm worried she is still not getting enough.

She eats really well and drinks plenty of water during the day. Just wanted to know if this is normal or should I be worried?

I know she is teething but thats been a constant problem since she was 7 months! I'm not sure if this is linked in but she has also started to cry when we put her to bed I put it down to the heat as she has always gone to bed happy but for the last 5 nights she has gone to bed and cried tonight it lasted 20 mins but on sat it was for nearly an hour!

Just a bit worried any advice gratefully received!

Seona1973 Wed 30-Jul-08 20:07:44

I know she is a bit younger than advised but have you tried her with full fat cows milk as a drink just to see if she takes it any better than formula - she is only a couple of months away from the recommended age for it. The bedtime thing could be related to seperation anxiety which is common around this age.

noonki Wed 30-Jul-08 20:19:52

I would put it in her food too, try

My DS3 not interested in milk, I put it in his food (porridge) I agree with trying a bit of cow's milk too

and try different bottles/cups

I wouldn't leave her crying for quite so long if that is what you are doing as it may make the separation anxiety worse

(i'm no totally against leaving to cry before I start that thread off again!)

lizziemun Wed 30-Jul-08 20:32:59

louise84

I moved dd2 to cows milk at 9mths because she will not drink formula (have tried all of them)she was drinking 2 4oz bottles a day each feed with her being pinned down and screaming. Each feed would take an hour.

Since she has been on cows milk (11mths) she has 3 x 7oz and 1 x 5oz a day.

The 7oz are Morning,bedtime and at 11pm and the 5oz one is in the afternoon after her nap.

louise84 Thu 31-Jul-08 19:08:24

I will try cows milk that's brilliant thanks so much and see if she will have some of that during the day.

TheInvisibleHand Fri 01-Aug-08 17:27:19

Louise

I wouldn't worry too much if she doesn't drink milk in the end. My DD (breast fed) decided to give up milk entirely at 9 months and would not bottle feed either or really drink much either. She is dairy allergic, but gets by eating a fairly varied diet and mountains of soya yoghurt. We also sneak formula in her food when we can. We were pretty worried at the time and spoke to a dietician about it (seeing one because of the allergies) and she was pretty relaxed as long as DD was getting the calcium somehow - in her case through the soya yogurts.

DD is now 15 months, still doesn't drink milk/milk substitutes but is absolutely fine. Its not ideal, but no disaster either...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now