Talk

Advanced search

Leaving 12m DD for first time will miss 2 bfs will I get....

(9 Posts)
happypiglet Wed 30-Jul-08 16:20:50

Going away for first time overnight this weekend since DD was born. DD is 12m and has 2 breast feeds a day, one in morning and one at 3pm (not fed in evening she is not interested!).
I will miss 3pm feed on Sat and morning feed on Sun but be back for 3pm feed on Sun.
I will take pump but haven't used it at all with DD and so last time I used it successfully was when DS2 was 12 weeks old about 2.5 years ago!!
Just wondered if anyone else had experience of going for this long without bfs with a DC around this age & whether you got engorged or not. Now I am down to 2 feeds a day boobs are generally softer and less big than before any way!! Could I get away without pumping do you think?

Laugs Wed 30-Jul-08 16:25:20

Hi, yes I have done it, sort of.

I BF'd until DD was 20 months.

At about 18 months I went away for 4 days. She was down to one feed a day at that point and I was worried the milk would have gone by the time I got back, but it was fine. I was not engorged either, but I guess that's because I was only producing enough for 1 feed a day by then.

I know these experiences are 6 months apart, so not sure if that'd make any difference.

Laugs Wed 30-Jul-08 16:27:02

Also, when she was 9-10 months, I dropped quite quickly from 4 feeds a day to two, then just one - all probably within about a month. I worried too that this would affect my milk supply, but it was fine.

Laugs Wed 30-Jul-08 16:27:52

Have a nice weekend away, by the way. smile

Justers Wed 30-Jul-08 16:28:33

I remember when my ds was 6 months and started back at work doing a 12 hour night shift I think I would of been feeding him more than twice a day though. But by the end of my shift I was engorged and uncomfortable although I managed not to use a pump. I suppose if you take the pump with you, you'll have the option of using it if things get too uncomfy!

amner Wed 30-Jul-08 16:28:45

You will probably be OK.

I left my 16 month for the first time a few months ago. I took my pump with me just in case I was exploding during the dinner party but I was fine.

By about 24 hours I was ready to feed him again though grin

Enjoy your evening you lucky thing, and dont worry about her. She will be fine !

PortAndLemon Wed 30-Jul-08 16:29:18

I've done it at that age and didn't get uncomfortably engorged until I'd missed 4 or 5 feeds (and even then I managed by hand-expressing in the shower rather than pumping).

Flier Wed 30-Jul-08 16:30:06

IME you may feel rather full and may drip, so can you take some disposable breast pads with you, just in case?
hope you have a lovely weekend away.

happypiglet Wed 30-Jul-08 16:33:04

Many thanks. I am looking forward to it but also worried she won't miss bfeeding enough to resume when I get back... My morning feed on Sat may be esp poignant (can't spell that)!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now